For the second time in 2 years, ACCORD participated at an educational conference, this time in Barcelona during the EDULearn 2013 conference. Pushing for new learning, training and knowledge-sharing methods, Dr. da Rocha, Training Unit Coordinator, presented a learning and training model based on Blended and Mixed Method Learning, thus contributing to ACCORD's advanced training methodology.
TfP/ACCORD has participated in the African Civilian Response Capacity for Peace Operations (AFDEM) strategic planning workshop. The workshop aims to develop a consolidated strategic direction of AFDEM, which will take into account the expectations of all stakeholders. The engagement presents an opportunity to discuss and agree on expectations, create solutions, formulate collaborations, define objectives and also roles and responsibilities.
ACCORD, under the auspices of the Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme, hosted a Communication Package workshop which commenced from 18th-19th June 2013. The workshop was attended by international representatives from the TfP partners. As the focal point of the workshop, ACCORD was designated with the responsibility to redesign and rebuild the TfP Communication Package strategy to enhance the branding of the TfP Programme and also improve coordination and collaboration between the partners.
There is overwhelming literature on the extensive involvement of children and youth in conflict and warfare in Africa and beyond. Literature addressing the positive contributions of young people when they are included in a nation's peacebuilding interventions post-conflict, however, is not as easy to come by. The latest Conference Paper published by ACCORD aims to contribute to the available body of knowledge regarding the benefits and importance of incorporating young people in peacebuilding processes to facilitate the achievement of sustainable peace.
ACCORD's successful International Training Programme on Peace and Security in Africa (PASA) has once again commenced in January this year with the aim of further enhancing the theoretical and practical knowledge of mediation and negotiation skills within and amongst representative of the RECs and NGOs.
From 6-7 June 2013, ACCORD Peacebuilding Unit hosted 18 participants from around Africa at the ACCORD Peacebuilding Handbook Review Workshop. The workshop brought together practitioners, policy makers and researchers in the field of peacebuilding, representative of government, civil society, academia and international agencies and partners. This workshop aimed to create a platform through which participants, trainers and trainees could share their ideas and comments on the Handbook, offering suggestions on how it can be improved and best used in peacebuilding processes.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has co-hosted the 6thAnnual African Standby Force (ASF) Training Implementation Workshop organised by the African Union (AU) Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD), in Pretoria, South Africa from 5th - 7th June 2013. The workshop was attended by approximately 50 participants, drawn from the African Union Commission (AUC), Regional Economic Communities/ Regional Mechanisms (RECs/RMs), The African Peace Support Trainers' Association (APSTA), Training Centers of Excellence, United Nations Office to African Union (UNOAU), South African government and Partners.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD has participated in a TfP Research Network Meeting organized by the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI), with the aim to discuss on police related research, and to reflect on the recommendations of the review of the TfP police dimension, with regards to the role of police in peace operations. The meeting facilitated joint discussion and strategizes the need to focus more work on the police dimension of peacekeeping, to help reform the police component in peace operations worldwide.
As part of its initiatives in the Great Lakes Region, ACCORD together with partnering organisations met to discuss on further planning in the implementation of activities on the Great Lakes Project that is to take place over the course of the next three years.
Peace infrastructures are gaining terrain as a means to bring about structural transformation and coordination for all actors invested in building sustainable peace. In this regard, ACCORD Training Unit intern Maya Doyon-Hanson delivered a presentation during an Internal Staff Seminar on 20 June 2013 at ACCORD's offices in Durban.
In supporting efforts towards the promotion for better understanding of security sector reform initiatives, ACCORD participated in the Association for Security Sector Reform Education and Training (ASSET) Annual General Meeting from 29-31 May 2013 in Accra, Ghana.
- Outcome Statement: The Southern African Women Mediators Seminar
- Report examines approaches to strengthening partnerships for civilian capacities in the atermath of conflict
- ACCORD publishes first edition of ACCORD Peacebuilding Handbook
- ACCORD participates in youth forum in celebration of 50 years AU/OAU
- Global conference examines protection of civilians under international humanitarian law
- ACCORD supports the strengthening of fragile countries
- Alliance for Peacebuilding annual conference targets creative innovation in local initiatives
- Civilian Capacities Roundtable examines South Africa’s civilian roles in the aftermath of conflict
- TfP/ACCORD takes part in ISS Seminar on "Future African Peace Operations: From Scenarios to Force Preparations"
- ACCORD trains SADC police officers in mediation
- ACCORD trains South Sudan negotiators in mediation and negotiation
- ACCORD attends African Solidarity Initiative planning
- ACCORD hosts Governor of Khartoum
- ACCORD starts online mentoring for UNMISS Civil Affairs Officers in South Sudan
- TfP AGM and UN Meetings 2013
- ACCORD elected Civilian Chair for 19th IAPTC Annual Conference
- ACCORD helps institutionalisation of the Pan-African Network of the Wise
- TfP/ACCORD consults AU on peace support operations
- TfP attends workshop on understanding and integrating local perceptions in multidimensional UN Peacekeeping Operations
- ACCORD hosts AU Chairperson and Heads of RECs during BRICS Summit