The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the United Nations’ ‘Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People’, to be a resource person at the United Nations’ ‘Public Forum in Support of Israeli-Palestinian Peace’, which was held at the University of Pretoria, in South Africa on 11 May.
On 8 May ACCORD hosted its inaugural trustees’ EXCOM Meeting at ACCORD House. At the ACCORD Board of Trustees Meeting held on 30 November 2006, the Board approved the creation of the EXCOM, which will meet twice a year.
On Sunday, 6 May the 3rd Annual Mahatma Gandhi Salt March was held in Durban. The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, who is a trustee of the Gandhi Development Trust, was invited to be the co-director of programmes for the event. The 22km march began at the Phoenix Settlement in Inanda and ended at Battery Beach in Durban, where Gandhi’s ashes were immersed into the sea.
ACCORD recently ran a conflict management training for diplomatic cadets at the Congolese Diplomatic Academy of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The training was run over four days from 26-29 April, and focused on conflict analysis, negotiation and mediation, and strategy design.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the National Committee for International Cooperation and Sustainable Development (NCDO), who are based in Amsterdam, to be a resource person at the Dutch Africa Day, which was held on 14 April in The Hague.
On Sunday, 22 April, a delegation from the South Africa Police Services, lead by the Deputy National Commissioner of Police, Ms Mala Singh, along with representatives from the Swedish Police Services and a representative from the Swedish Embassy in Pretoria, visited ACCORD House where they met with the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Mr. Vasu Gounden.
On 7 and 8 May the Director of Operations from the Centre for Peace Initiatives in Africa (CPIA), Rev. Max Chigwida, visited ACCORD House accompanied by Petronella Mapfiro, the CPIA’s Culture of Peace Programme Officer and Executive Assistant.
On 8 May 2007, Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, will deliver a presentation on “the Future of Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy’s New Issues in Security Course (NISC).
On Thursday, 26 April and Friday 27 April ACCORD hosted separate visits from parties from both sides to the conflict in Sri Lanka.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to attend the ANC’s International Relations Subcommittee Sectoral Workshop, which was held in Tshwane on 20 and 21 April.
Ms. Yvonne Kasumba, Senior Programme Officer for ACCORD's Training for Peace Programme, will participate in a “Peacekeeping Training Support and Coordination” workshop in Addis Ababa from 24-26 April, hosted by the African Peace Support Training Association (APSTA).
- ACCORD to host dialogue session on conflict analysis and peace building in Angola
- Gounden presents at seminar on broader cooperation between South Africa and Sweden
- ACCORD, DFA & Canadian High Commission host round table on international peace and security
- Canadian High Commissioner visits ACCORD
- US Ambassador visits ACCORD
- AU African Standby Force Technical Experts Task Team Meeting, Addis Ababa
- Coordinated Approaches to Security, Development and Peacemaking
- ACCORD participates in UPEACE Africa Programme consultative meeting
- G8+ Africa Clearing House
- ACCORD participates in seminar on challenges of peacekeeping training in Africa
- Preparing the South African Army for future peace missions
- Gounden to assist South African Foreign Service Training Institute to examine diplomatic practice
- International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centers (IAPTC) Executive Committee Meeting
- DPKO Peacekeeping Doctrine Workshop
- 2nd Annual Peacekeeping, Stability and Developmental Operations Africa 2007 Conference
- ACCORD and partners to launch African Alliance for Peace-Building
- Indian Consul visits ACCORD
- Conflict management for peacekeepers
- ACCORD participates in Swedish security sector reform meeting
- Peace Operations in Africa