The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) and the University of Tromsø, with support from the Embassy of Finland in Norway, is co-hosting a seminar on civil-military coordination (CIMIC) on 21 January 2008, at NUPI, in Oslo. Cedric de Coning, joint Research Fellow at ACCORD and NUPI will launch the recently published ACCORD book on "Civil-Military Coordination in United Nations and African Peace Operations" at the seminar.
Cedric de Coning, joint Research Fellow at ACCORD and NUPI, will be give a lecture on the 'unintended consequences of peacekeeping' to the Armed Forces of North Norway in Bardufoss on 23 January. The event is organised by the Norwegian National Red Cross. The 'unintended consequences of peacekeeping' is also the title of a book that de Coning co-edited with Prof Chiyuki Aoi and Prof Ramesh Thakur.
ACCORD's TfP Programme’s Senior Programme Advisor, Cedric de Coning, is attending a Southern African Development Community Workshop on Peace Operations. The theme of the workshop is “The Challenges of Peacekeeping Training in the SADC Region"
On 26 November the High Commissioner of India to South Africa, High Commissioner Bhatia visited ACCORD House, accompanied by the Indian Consul General in Durban.
On the 20 November Marc Labrom, the new second Secretary (Political Affairs) based at the Canadian High Commission in Pretoria visited ACCORD House. Mr. Labrom’s visit follows visits in April this year by the Canadian High Commissioner, Ruth Archibald and the Political Counsellor Andras Vamos-Goldman.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme, in partnership with the Legon Centre for International Affairs (LECIA) at the University of Ghana, will host a Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC) in Accra, Ghana, from 19-23 November.
ACCORD’s Burundi Intervention organised two basic conflict management trainings for the media in Burundi from 28-30 November, and 3-5 December 2007. The trainings took place at the Sun Safari Club Hotel in Bujumbura, Burundi and were facilitated by Jerome Sachane, Deputy Director of ACCORD and Adelin Hatungimana, Senior Programme Officer at the Burundi Office.
On 26 November Ms Marjaana Sall, the Minister Councillor at the Finnish Embassy in Pretoria, along with Mr. Asko Luukkainen from the Africa and Middle East Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Finland, visited ACCORD House.
On 22 November, the Founder and Executive director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, participated in a workshop in Brussels entitled “Conflict Prevention – Creating a Leading Role for the European Union ‘Co-operation with Regional Organisations,’” under invitation by the Madariaga European Foundation and the Folke Bernadotte Academy.
The African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme at ACCORD will host a Stakeholders Forum in Durban, South Africa, from 26-27 November 2007. The purpose of the forum is to consult a variety of practitioners and experts on the findings and recommendations emanating from the field research conducted by ACCORD in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Liberia and Sudan, and to obtain their advice on the proposed work plan of the programme over the next three year cycle.
ACCORD will host a ‘Women in Dialogue for Peace in Africa’ study tour and exchange programme to South Africa, for representatives of women’s groups (civil society and government) from five African countries which are in various stages of conflict transformation.
- ACCORD Meets Mith the South African National Office for the Coordination of Peace Missions
- ACCORD Hosts Forum on Peace Agreements in Africa
- Training of Trainers for Civil Society Members in Angola
- Conflict Management Training for Angolan Government Officials
- OECD/DAC Experts Meeting on Developing Practical Guidance on Armed Violence Reduction in Nairobi
- Gounden attends regional meeting on armed violence and development in Kenya
- Developing a Monitoring and Evaluation System for Peace-building Initiatives
- African Union African Standby Force Training Implementation Workshop
- International delegates from SA International Trade & Investment Conference tour future Africa Peace Centre site
- GPPAC International Steering Group Annual Meeting
- APSTA Training Implementation Workshop
- TfP Programme Annual General Meeting
- ACCORD participates in Vital Voices trans-regional exchange programme
- ACCORD attends TOPS seminar in Sweden
- Coordinator of ACCORD Rumonge office interviewed on Burundi radio
- Security Sector Reform and Governance Meeting between Sweden and South Africa
- ‘Protection of Civilians in Peace Operations’ Curriculum Development Workshop
- ACCORD donates IT equipment to celebrate International Peace Day
- Gandhi researcher and non-violence teacher visits ACCORD
- 13th Annual Conference of the International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centers