Pravina Makan-Lakha, General Manager: Operations at ACCORD, has been nominated to participate at the Vital Voices Trans Regional Exchange: Women Leaders building Peace and Prosperity meeting taking place in Northern Ireland.
As part of the partnership arrangement between ACCORD and the Department of Peace and Conflict Research at Uppsala University in Sweden, ACCORD is participating in Uppsala’s high-level programme on Conflict Resolution and Challenges to Successful Peace Building in Africa (Top Level Seminar on Peace and Security - TOPS).
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at a “Security Sector Reform (SSR) and Governance” meeting between Sweden and South Africa. The meeting which was hosted by the Swedish National Defence College (SNDC) and the Folke Bernadotte Academy in Västerhaninge, Sweden, from 1-2 October.
On International Peace Day, 21 September 2007, ACCORD, in collaboration with Unischool Durban (which provides short training in computer and business skills) contributed some of its surplus IT equipment to the Ekhaya Multi Arts Centre based in Kwa-Mashu, Durban. Unischool agreed to contribute free computer training.
The 13th Annual Conference and Annual General Meeting of the International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centers (IAPTC) will be held from 24-28 September in Stockholm, Sweden. The IAPTC is a unique forum for exchanging information and experience on peace operations education and training.
ACCORD's Training for Peace (TfP) Senior Programme Officer, Yvonne Kasumba, will be participating in a two day seminar entitled, “UN Multidimensional and Integrated Peace Operations – Trends and Challenges, Experiences from West Africa”.
On 2 October 2007, the Coordinator of the ACCORD Rumonge office in Burundi, Marie Joseph Gatoto, was interviewed by a local radio station in Burundi, Studio Ijambo.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme will host a Civilian Protection in Peace Operations Curriculum Development Workshop (CDW) in Durban, South Africa, from 8-9 October 2007. This workshop is the first in a series of activities to develop a Protection of Civilians in Peace Operations handbook.
On 21 September David Cortright, a research fellow and visiting scholar at the Joan B. Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies at the University of Notre visited ACCORD House. Mr. Cortright was in Durban to meet with, among others, Ela Gandhi, in relation with his new book entitled “Gandhi and Beyond: Nonviolence for an Age of Terrorism.”
ACCORD Senior Researcher Karanja Mbugua attended the Implementing the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy in Southern Africa forum from 17-18 September at Kopanong Hotel at Benoni, Johannesburg.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, traveled to Burundi from 9-12 September 2007, where he visited ACCORD’s Burundi Country Office as well as had meetings with a variety of stakeholders related to ACCORD’s ongoing work in that country.
- David Adjaye visits ACCORD to discuss Africa Peace Centre
- Gounden tours Sweden, Finland & Norway
- Gounden Meets Co-Chair of Swedish-South Africa SSR Seminar
- ACCORD Hosts 2nd Annual Trustees Meeting
- 2007 Mahatma Gandhi International Award Recipient Visits ACCORD
- Nordic Africa Institute Visit ACCORD
- Peace-building coordination field research visit to the Democratic Republic of Congo
- ACCORD Staff Team-Build
- ACCORD Hosts Seminar on conflict in Western Sahara
- ACCORD Conducts Field Research in Sudan
- Dialogue and Conflict Management Training for Civil Society in Angola
- ACCORD Hosts Sri Lanka-based INPACT
- Gounden Participates in Foreign Affairs round table
- ACCORD attends IFLA international seminar
- Conflict Management for Peacekeepers Course for the United Nations Mission in Liberia
- Peace-building coordination field research visit to Liberia
- CNTB Commissioners trained in mediation and land law by ACCORD Burundi
- ACCORD invited to roundtable on AFRICOM
- CPIA Director visits ACCORD
- Spanish NGO 'Aprodel' visits ACCORD