ACCORD has been invited to the launching event of the Mo Ibrahim Foundation on 31 October and a Roundtable discussion on 1 November, for a group of leaders from the academic community. Under the direction of Dr. Mo Ibrahim, one of Africa’s leading entrepreneurs, the Mo Ibrahim Foundation has been established to recognise and reward excellence in African leadership, and promote understanding of the challenges and opportunities for good governance in Africa.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, will be in Amman, Jordan, from 26 October to 1 November, where he will be a resource person at a leadership course hosted by the United Nations University’s International Leadership Institute (UNU-ILI), based in Amman. The title of the course is “Non Violent Approaches to Conflict Resolution, Peace Building and Reconciliation”.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Senior Programme Officer, Ms Yvonne Kasumba, will participate in the 12th Annual Conference of the International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centres (IAPTC) from 16-20 October 2006 in Santiago, Chile. The conference is hosted by the Chilean Joint Centre for Peacekeeping (CECOPAC), and the main theme for this year is “The Integrated Missions Approach: Implications for Education and Training.”
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme has conducted a Specialisation Course in Disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintegration (DDR), from 18-22 September 2006. This was the second course in the Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC) series that ACCORD has organised for 2006.
The African Union (AU) is hosting a Technical Experts Workshop, focussing on the Civilian Dimension of the African Standby Force (ASF), at the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Center (KAIPTC) from 29 August-1 September 2006 in Accra, Ghana.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme will conduct a Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC), focusing on Mission Preparedness for a total 25 participants selected from all over Africa. The course will be held in Pretoria, South Africa from 7-18 August 2006, and aims to serve as the foundation course for civilians interested in serving in a variety of roles in United Nations (UN) or African peacekeeping or peacebuilding operations.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, will conduct a training session at the South African Foreign Service Training Institute in Pretoria on 25 October 2006, as part of their Heads of Mission training.
Major General JN Mutwii, Deputy Commander of the Kenyan Army, presented CIMIC certificates to 35 participants who had successful completed the third East African CIMIC course. The course was hosted by the Peace Support Training Centre (PSTC), GTZ and ACCORD, as part of the Finnish-funded African Civil-Military Coordination (ACMC) programme, from 4-15 September 2006 in Nairobi, Kenya.
ACCORD’s Angola Country Programme, Building Peace and Democracy in Angola: Enhancing Capacity for Managing Conflict, will host a conflict management and mediation training in Luanda, Angola, from 16-20 October 2006. This activity is part of the overall objective of the Programme to build the capacity of civil society to respond to conflict.
ACCORD and the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) are jointly hosting the 62nd UN Civil-Military Coordination (UN CMCoord) Course in Stellenbosch, South Africa, from 21-25 August 2006. This course is aimed at strengthening the capacity of various governments, NGOs and UN Agencies in the southern African region to respond to natural disasters, and focuses on the appropriate use of military and civil defence assets in support of humanitarian action.
On Saturday 17 June 2006 ACCORD’s Burundi Programme staff participated in a ‘Walk for Refugees’ in Bujumbura, Burundi. This walk was organized by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Bujumbura, Burundi to create awareness regarding refugees. Following democratic elections in 2005, Burundian refugees are returning to Burundi with hope of a new life.
- ACCORD TfP Programme conducts conflict management training for KPSTC
- Consultation on UN Peacebuilding Commission in Burundi
- ACCORD participates in DPKO gender training development workshop
- Evaluating peace processes in Africa Experts’ Workshop
- Gounden's speech at the 2006 Africa Peace Award
- Burundi wins 2006 Africa Peace Award
- ACCORD wins Tombouctou Award
- Swedish consultation on poverty and regional cooperation
- Training for Angolan electoral stakeholders
- “Peacekeeping - Peacebuilding: Preparing for the Future” conference
- ACCORD training in Civil-Military Coordination
- Interrogating theories of transitional frameworks
- Privatized military operations study
- African Peace Support Trainers Association launches new website
- ACCORD joins international disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration training group
- ACCORD conducts international trade negotiation workshop in Botswana
- Black intelligencia at the Natives Club
- Civil-Military Coordination training in Sudan
- ACCORD participates in UPEACE conflict prevention, management & resolution course
- Gounden attends Sri Lankan peace seminar