On 24 February 2009 the Hon. Commissioner Nancy Boxill, a Board member of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research’s (UNITAR) International Training Centre for Local Authorities in Atlanta (CIFAL Atlanta) visited ACCORD House. Commissioner Boxill is the County Commissioner and Chair of the UNITAR-CIFAL Atlanta Global Leadership Initiative on Gender Equality in Cities.
The Training for Peace (TFP) Programme at ACCORD conducted a Mission Preparedness Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC) and an Admin and Finance Specialisation Course for the African Union Mission for Somalia (AMISOM) from 9-13 February 2009 and 16-18 February 2009, respectively, in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Training for Peace (TFP) Programme at ACCORD conducted a Mission Preparedness Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC) and an Admin and Finance Specialisation Course for the African Union Mission for Somalia (AMISOM) from 9 - 13 February 2009 and 16 - 18 February 2009, respectively, in Nairobi, Kenya.
Shauna Mottiar researcher at ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department attended the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) 2009 elections briefing. The briefing was held in Pretoria on the 21st of January. Its objectives were to update civil society on the IEC’s election preparations as well as to explore how faith based and non governmental organizations can partner with the IEC to uphold the constitutional principles inherent in the electoral process and encourage the communities in which they work to do the same.
ACCORD has been invited to the Independent Electoral Commission briefing on the 2009 elections in South Africa. The briefing is to take place in Pretoria on the 21st of January and will be attended by Dr Shauna Mottiar, senior researcher in ACCORDs Knowledge Production Department.
ACCORD has published a report titled Views and Visions of Coexistence in South Africa. The report documents a series of community consultations in three South African communities – Stutterheim in the Eastern Cape and Muden and Mpumalanga in KwaZulu Natal, where community members were invited to share their remarkable stories of transiting from violent conflict to cooperative post-conflict coexistence.
On 19 February 2009 Salomé van Jaarsveld, ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Officer, attended a symposium on Global Migration and its Impacts on Human Rights, Development and Security.
On 29 January 2009 Proscovia Svärd visited ACCORD House as part of ACCORD’s partnership with the Nordic Africa Institute (NAI). Ms Svärd was in South Africa to attend a conference in Johannesburg.
On Sunday, 18 January 2009 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to participate in the celebrations marking the 40th Anniversary of the community of Mpumalanga in KwaZulu Natal.
On 15 January 2009 the Head of Delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) for the Southern Africa and the Indian Ocean Region, Catherine Gendre, along with ICRC’s Provincial Manager, Derick Naidoo, visited ACCORD House. The aim of the visit was to discuss the work of the ICRC in Southern Africa, the upcoming elections in South Africa and ACCORD’s work in general on the Continent.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Folke Bernadotte Academy (FBA) to be a resource person at a “Capacity Building in Dialogue and Mediation through Experience Sharing” workshop from 3-8 October 2008, in Debre Zeit, Ethiopia. The training was held for senior African Union (AU) and United Nations (UN) Staff.
- Graça Machel elected chair of ACCORD Board of Trustees
- ACCORD at launch of Governance Programme in Liberia
- Gounden attends AfAP AGM
- ACCORD presents TOPS seminar in Sweden
- ACCORD take part in Finish study programme
- Peacebuilding Stakeholders from Sudan meet in Uganda
- Norway and ACCORD sign new TfP agreement
- Lee Ann Sedowski visits ACCORD
- ACCORD discusses global developments with Burundian and Indian delegations
- ACCORD Hosts Peacebuilding Workshop in Bujumbura, Burundi
- Peacebuilding Programme Participates in NUPI R2P Seminar
- NUPI director Jan Egeland visits ACCORD
- ACCORD trains peacebuilders in Liberia
- Former US Ambassador to Burkina Faso visits ACCORD
- ACCORD host new Swedish Ambassador to SA
- ACCORD trains Somali Joint Security Committee
- Gounden attends dinner with new Swedish Ambassador to SA
- Co-operation between government and NGO’s in Angola
- Study tour and training for Southern Sudan Legislative Assembly
- Gounden resource person at Folke Bernadotte Academy's mediation workshop