The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the National Committee for International Cooperation and Sustainable Development (NCDO), who are based in Amsterdam, to be a resource person at the Dutch Africa Day, which was held on 14 April in The Hague.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to attend the ANC’s International Relations Subcommittee Sectoral Workshop, which was held in Tshwane on 20 and 21 April.
Ms. Yvonne Kasumba, Senior Programme Officer for ACCORD's Training for Peace Programme, will participate in a “Peacekeeping Training Support and Coordination” workshop in Addis Ababa from 24-26 April, hosted by the African Peace Support Training Association (APSTA).
On 19 April, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Swedish Embassy in Pretoria to present at a one-day planning seminar on broader cooperation between South Africa and Sweden, in Gauteng. Since the end of the 1990’s South Africa and Sweden have been developing a broader cooperation based on mutual interests and shared responsibilities in a number of areas and sectors.
The Canadian High Commissioner to South Africa, Ms Ruth Archibald, along with Mr. Andras Vamos-Goldman, Political Councilor at the Canadian High Commission in Pretoria, visited ACCORD House on Tuesday, 10 April. This was the first visit to ACCORD by High Commissioner Archibald.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme has been assisting the African Union Peace Support Operations Division (AU PSOD) with the development of the civilian dimension of the AU African Standby Force (ASF). Specifically the programme has assisted with the formulation of the project document entitled, ‘Draft Policy Framework of the Civilian Dimension of the ASF’.
On Sunday, 22 April, a delegation from the South Africa Police Services, lead by the Deputy National Commissioner of Police, Ms Mala Singh, along with representatives from the Swedish Police Services and a representative from the Swedish Embassy in Pretoria, visited ACCORD House where they met with the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Mr. Vasu Gounden.
The Angola Country Programme at ACCORD will be hosting a three day dialogue session for sixteen conflict resolution experts and practitioners in Luanda, Angola from 2-4 May 2007.
ACCORD, in partnership with the Canadian High Commission in South Africa and the South African Department of Foreign Affairs, will host a one day roundtable discussion on “The relationship between the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) and Regional Organisations, in particular the Africa Union, in the maintenance of international peace and security”.
On Thursday, 5 April, the US Ambassador to South Africa, H.E. Ambassador Eric Bost, and his wife, Dr. Rose Mary Brownridge-Bost, along with the US Consul General in Durban, Mr. Eugene Young, visited ACCORD House. ACCORD’s programme staff had the opportunity to engage in discussions with the Ambassador on a number of issues pertaining to Africa in general, and southern Africa in particular, as well as issues related to ACCORD’s work in general.
The US Government, through USAID, has been one of ACCORD’s larger donors since 1993. The funds that ACCORD has received from USAID has focused mainly on assisting ACCORD, as an organization, in its capacity building.
The Ambassador was welcomed to ACCORD by the Founder and Executive Director, Mr. Vasu Gounden.
L-R US Consul General, Mr. Eugene Young; ACCORD Founder and Executive Director, Mr. Vasu Gounden, H.E. Ambassador Eric Bost and Dr. Rose Mary Brownridge-Bost
H.E. Ambassador Eric Bost along with Mr. Vasu Gounden and Mr. Deva Govindsamy, Public Affairs Specialist, US Consulate, Durban. Seated with their backs to the camera: Dr Rose Mary Brownridge-Bost, Mr Eugene Young, US Consul General, Durban and Ms Amy Patel, US Consulate, Durban
Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellowwith ACCORD's Peace Operations Unit, will participate in a workshop on 'Coordinated Approaches to Security, Development and Peacemaking: Lessons Learned from Afghanistan and Liberia', hosted by the Centre for Military and Strategic Studies of the University of Calgary and the Washington D.C.-based Institute of World Affairs, from 30-31 March in Calgary, Canada.
- ACCORD participates in UPEACE Africa Programme consultative meeting
- G8+ Africa Clearing House
- ACCORD participates in seminar on challenges of peacekeeping training in Africa
- Preparing the South African Army for future peace missions
- Gounden to assist South African Foreign Service Training Institute to examine diplomatic practice
- International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centers (IAPTC) Executive Committee Meeting
- DPKO Peacekeeping Doctrine Workshop
- 2nd Annual Peacekeeping, Stability and Developmental Operations Africa 2007 Conference
- ACCORD and partners to launch African Alliance for Peace-Building
- Indian Consul visits ACCORD
- Conflict management for peacekeepers
- ACCORD participates in Swedish security sector reform meeting
- Peace Operations in Africa
- Kamidza to speak at round table on investment in Africa
- Gounden participates in SA Presidency future scenarios exercise
- Gounden to address Catholic Relief Services
- Conflict Management Training for community leadership in Angola
- Conflict management and mediation training in Angola
- Gounden to speak at Sub Saharan African Policy & Defence Relations Seminar
- DPKO Women's Constituencies Strategy Workshop