On Wednesday, 20 February 2008, Anders Rönquist (First Secretary, Deputy Head, Development Cooperation Section), from the Embassy of Sweden in Pretoria, Linnéa Ehrnst (Advisor for the Division for Peace and Security from Sida Headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden), and Kerstin Lundgren (from the Swedish Embassy in Harare) visited ACCORD House.
On 7 February Jeremy Astil Brown, who is one of five Conflict Advisors at the British Department for International Development (DFID) for the Africa region, visited ACCORD House. DFID is currently funding ACCORD’s Angola Country Programme.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD’s Senior Programme Officer, Yvonne Kasumba, will participate in a meeting entitled “Civilian Protection in Africa: A Dialogue” from 13-14 February 2007. The meeting will be hosted by the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue (CHD) in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD will be hosting a Civilian Staffing, Rostering and Training (SRT) planning meeting on 6 February in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Civilian SRT Workshop is scheduled for 23-25 April and will have as a key objective the harmonization of the approaches of the African Union (AU) and the Regional Economic Commissions (RECs) to the staffing, rostering and training aspects of the civilian dimension of the African Standby Force (ASF).
ACCORD’s Angola Intervention will be hosting a one-day dialogue session in conflict analysis and peace building for civil society organisations in Angola on 11 February 2008. The dialogue session will take place in Lubango, Huíla Province, and will discuss topics related to gender, community reintegration and strategies for strengthening civil society.
Cedric de Coning, joint Research Fellow at ACCORD and NUPI, will be give a lecture on the 'unintended consequences of peacekeeping' to the Armed Forces of North Norway in Bardufoss on 23 January. The event is organised by the Norwegian National Red Cross. The 'unintended consequences of peacekeeping' is also the title of a book that de Coning co-edited with Prof Chiyuki Aoi and Prof Ramesh Thakur.
ACCORD’s Burundi Programme will hold a conflict management training for women leaders in Burundi from 18-20 February 2008 in Bujumbura. This training will be facilitated by Kemi Ogunsanya, ACCORD trainer and gender specialist, and Adelin Hatungimana, Senior Progamme Officer at the Burundi Office.
ACCORD’s Burundi Programme held a conflict management training for civil society organisations in Burundi from 6-8 February in Bujumbura.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme Senior Programme Officer, Yvonne Kasumba, will be participating in a Scenario Development Meeting from 4-5 February in Nairobi, Kenya. The need to develop a common exercise scenario was recognised at an African Standby Force (ASF) Training Implementation Workshop held from 29-31 October 2007 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) and the University of Tromsø, with support from the Embassy of Finland in Norway, is co-hosting a seminar on civil-military coordination (CIMIC) on 21 January 2008, at NUPI, in Oslo. Cedric de Coning, joint Research Fellow at ACCORD and NUPI will launch the recently published ACCORD book on "Civil-Military Coordination in United Nations and African Peace Operations" at the seminar.
ACCORD’s Burundi Intervention organised two basic conflict management trainings for the media in Burundi from 28-30 November, and 3-5 December 2007. The trainings took place at the Sun Safari Club Hotel in Bujumbura, Burundi and were facilitated by Jerome Sachane, Deputy Director of ACCORD and Adelin Hatungimana, Senior Programme Officer at the Burundi Office.
- SADC Workshop on Peace Operations
- Finnish government representatives visit ACCORD
- Visit to ACCORD by H.E. High Commissioner Rajiv Bhatia
- Gounden attends Brussels workshop on the EU’s role in conflict prevention
- Canadian High Commission visit ACCORD
- African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme Hosts Stakeholders Forum
- ACCORD conducts Civilian Peacekeeping and Peace-building Course in Ghana
- ACCORD Hosts Women in Dialogue for Peace in Africa
- ACCORD Meets Mith the South African National Office for the Coordination of Peace Missions
- ACCORD Hosts Forum on Peace Agreements in Africa
- Training of Trainers for Civil Society Members in Angola
- Conflict Management Training for Angolan Government Officials
- OECD/DAC Experts Meeting on Developing Practical Guidance on Armed Violence Reduction in Nairobi
- Gounden attends regional meeting on armed violence and development in Kenya
- Developing a Monitoring and Evaluation System for Peace-building Initiatives
- African Union African Standby Force Training Implementation Workshop
- International delegates from SA International Trade & Investment Conference tour future Africa Peace Centre site
- GPPAC International Steering Group Annual Meeting
- APSTA Training Implementation Workshop
- TfP Programme Annual General Meeting