The African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme at ACCORD will host a Stakeholders Forum in Durban, South Africa, from 26-27 November 2007. The purpose of the forum is to consult a variety of practitioners and experts on the findings and recommendations emanating from the field research conducted by ACCORD in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Liberia and Sudan, and to obtain their advice on the proposed work plan of the programme over the next three year cycle.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme, in partnership with the Legon Centre for International Affairs (LECIA) at the University of Ghana, will host a Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC) in Accra, Ghana, from 19-23 November.
On 12 November ACCORD held a briefing in Pretoria with representatives from the South African National Office for the Coordination of Peace Missions (NOCPM) and the Southern African Development Community Desk at the Department of Foreign Affairs, to present the work of ACCORD.
ACCORD’s Angola Intervention will be conducting a four-day Training of Trainers (ToT) course in the Huambo province of Angola from 19-22 November 2007. In October 2006, and February and July 2007, the Angola Intervention conducted advanced conflict management trainings for civil society in Angola.
On 1 November the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden was a resource person at the “OECD/DAC Experts Meeting on Developing Practical Guidance on Armed Violence Reduction” in Nairobi, Kenya.
From 29 October to 1 November, ACCORD’s Angola Intervention presented a seminar to develop a monitoring and evaluation system for peace-building initiatives in Angola and other post-conflict countries.
ACCORD will host a ‘Women in Dialogue for Peace in Africa’ study tour and exchange programme to South Africa, for representatives of women’s groups (civil society and government) from five African countries which are in various stages of conflict transformation.
From 7-9 November ACCORD hosted a three-day forum in Durban, South Africa, focusing on peace agreements in Africa. Thirty-two of the fifty-three African states have experienced various forms of violent conflict during the period from ACCORD’s founding in 1991, and 2002.
ACCORD’s Angola Intervention will be hosting a three-day conflict management training for government officials from the Lunda Sul and Huambo provinces in Angola from 13-15 November 2007.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, recently attended a regional meeting on armed violence and development in Kenya, under invitation from the Governments of Kenya and Switzerland and the United Nations Development Programme.
In recognition of the support ACCORD has been giving to the African Union (AU) in the development of the Civilian Dimension of the African Standby Force (ASF), ACCORD was invited to participate in an AU Training Implementation Workshop that was held in Addis Ababa from 29-31 October.
- International delegates from SA International Trade & Investment Conference tour future Africa Peace Centre site
- GPPAC International Steering Group Annual Meeting
- APSTA Training Implementation Workshop
- TfP Programme Annual General Meeting
- ACCORD participates in Vital Voices trans-regional exchange programme
- ACCORD attends TOPS seminar in Sweden
- Coordinator of ACCORD Rumonge office interviewed on Burundi radio
- Security Sector Reform and Governance Meeting between Sweden and South Africa
- ‘Protection of Civilians in Peace Operations’ Curriculum Development Workshop
- ACCORD donates IT equipment to celebrate International Peace Day
- Gandhi researcher and non-violence teacher visits ACCORD
- 13th Annual Conference of the International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centers
- Seminar on UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy
- Seminar on Multidimensional and Integrated Peace Operations
- Gounden visits ACCORD's Burundi operations
- David Adjaye visits ACCORD to discuss Africa Peace Centre
- Gounden tours Sweden, Finland & Norway
- Gounden Meets Co-Chair of Swedish-South Africa SSR Seminar
- ACCORD Hosts 2nd Annual Trustees Meeting
- 2007 Mahatma Gandhi International Award Recipient Visits ACCORD