ACCORD's Executive Director was a resource person at the 'Exploratory Dialogue Forum for Northern Sudanese Civil Society Organisations' workshop hosted by ACCORD in Pretoria from 26-28 October 2009.
On 26 October 2009 ACCORD's Executive Director met with Aaron Williams, the newly appointed United States Peace Corps Director. Mr. Williams was in South Africa as part of a world-wide tour that saw him visit country directors of the Peace Corps in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Mr. Williams is a former USAID Mission Director who was based in South Africa in the early 1990’s. As one of ACCORD’s larger donors, ACCORD worked closely with Mr. Williams when he worked for USAID.
Vasu Gounden, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD was invited to speak at the above one day seminar hosted by the Government of Finland and the Finnish Forum for Mediation in Helsinki on 15 October 2009. The aim of the seminar was to make mediation better known as an instrument in international diplomacy, and to analyse its potential. The seminar included diplomats and scholars in political science and international relations.
TfP/ACCORD participated in the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) Standby Force (SSF) Field Training Exercise (FTX) After Action Review (AAR) Workshop hosted by the SADC Regional Peacekeeping Training Centre (RPTC) from 11-14 October 2009 at the centre in Harare, Zimbabwe. The AAR aimed to take stock of the whole exercise to identify challenges experienced and lessons learned to inform the ongoing development of the SSF.
ACCORD’s Burundi Intervention conducted a capacity building training in Conflict Management skills from 29 September - 1 October 2009 in Bujumbura, Burundi for twenty-three staff members of the Information, Counseling, Legal Assistance (ICLA) Programme of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) Burundi.
Tor Sellström, Senior Advisor to ACCORD, was invited to speak at the celebrations for the International Day of Peace (21 September 2009) at the Luthuli Museum in Groutville, KwaZulu Natal.
From Finland Mr. Gounden traveled directly to Addis Ababa to participate in the second day of the above seminar that took place from 15-16 October 2009.
Mr. Gounden was asked to Chair a session discussing the issue of “Building one Continental Approach in Mediation: Institutional Arrangements to support mediation of AU/REC’s and relations with partners”. The aim of the session was to discuss issues of collaboration and coordination between the AU and the Regional Economic Communities (RECs) in mediation, and how to increase cooperation between them in order to build a more integrated approach to mediation.
The TfP programme at ACCORD is assisting the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) with the development of a Civil Affairs Handbook. Civil Affairs is one of the largest civilian components in UN peacekeeping, with around 500 staff members currently deployed in the field to facilitate the implementation of peacekeeping mandates at the sub-national level.
On 07 October 2009 ACCORD's Executive Director, Vasu Gounden, met with Jeremy Astill-Brown, the former DIFID Southern Africa conflict advisor. Mr. Astill-Brown interviewed Mr. Gounden as part of a study that he was undertaking for DFID to help them identify if a development programme like DFID South Africa should have a peace and security dimension and if so why and how.
TfP/ACCORD Participated in the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) Standby Force (SSF) Field Training Exercise (FTX) code-named Exercise Goldfinho which was hosted by South Africa from 1-26 September 2009 at the South Africa National Defence Force (SANDF) Combat Training Centre (CTC) in Lohatla, Northern Province.
In late 2008 Vasu Gounden, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, was appointed onto the ICCO’s International Advisory Council. He was therefore invited to participate in an International Working Conference hosted by ICCO from 14 to 18 September 2009. The purpose of the conference was to finalize and conclude the process of dialogue of the key stakeholders regarding the preparation of ICCO’s strategic plan for 2011- 2015. The conference was find out whether there was common ground to make a shift to decentralised cooperation with Southern partners and how this transition process should be planned, taking into account that co-responsibility should be one of the key elements of the new organisation.
- KPD hosts Peace Agreements Workshop in Durban
- Visit by former South African Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Aziz Pahad
- ACCORD hosts Trustee EXCOM Meeting
- ACCORD participates in African Union MAPEX
- ACCORD conducts second conflict management training for UNAMID
- ACCORD conduct election observation and mediation training in Bujumbura
- ACCORD run civilian peacebuilding training in Monrovia
- Gounden resource person at Heinrich Böll Stiftung conference
- ACCORD/SADC RPTC conducts Integrated Course for SADC Standby Force
- Filmmaker Nandita Das visits ACCORD
- ACCORD participates in ASF Evaluation Concept Workshop
- Strategic Planning Session for Office for Strategic Studies and Development in Bujumbura
- ACCORD hosts Aung San Suu Kyi delegation
- ACCORD executive in New York & Washington
- AU endorsement of Staffing Training & Rostering (STR) workshop report
- ACCORD Conducts Election-Related Conflict Management Training in Bujumbura
- ACCORD hosts peacebuilding training in collaboration with the Liberia Peacebuilding Office in Monrovia
- AU PSOD/ACCORD conducts ASF Civilian Dimension technical rostering workshop
- Gounden attends ICCO advisory board meeting
- ACCORD at 7th Oslo Forum