Shauna Mottiar researcher at ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department attended the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) 2009 elections briefing. The briefing was held in Pretoria on the 21st of January. Its objectives were to update civil society on the IEC’s election preparations as well as to explore how faith based and non governmental organizations can partner with the IEC to uphold the constitutional principles inherent in the electoral process and encourage the communities in which they work to do the same.
On Sunday, 18 January 2009 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to participate in the celebrations marking the 40th Anniversary of the community of Mpumalanga in KwaZulu Natal.
On 15 January 2009 the Head of Delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) for the Southern Africa and the Indian Ocean Region, Catherine Gendre, along with ICRC’s Provincial Manager, Derick Naidoo, visited ACCORD House. The aim of the visit was to discuss the work of the ICRC in Southern Africa, the upcoming elections in South Africa and ACCORD’s work in general on the Continent.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Folke Bernadotte Academy (FBA) to be a resource person at a “Capacity Building in Dialogue and Mediation through Experience Sharing” workshop from 3-8 October 2008, in Debre Zeit, Ethiopia. The training was held for senior African Union (AU) and United Nations (UN) Staff.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Crisis Management Initiative (CMI) to travel with the former President of Finland, and 2008 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, H.E. President Marti Ahtisaari, to Liberia for the launch of the “Governance out of the box” programme on 27-28 November 2008, in Monrovia. Discussions were also held on a working partnership between ACCORD and CMI on the above programme.
Within the framework of its partnership with the Department of Peace and Conflict Research (DPCR) at the University of Uppsala, Sweden, twice a year ACCORD co-organizes international Top-Level Seminars on Peace and Security (TOPS). Under the theme 'Challenges to Durable Peace', the second TOPS seminar for 2008 was held in Uppsala from 25 November until 5 December 2008.
ACCORD has been invited to the Independent Electoral Commission briefing on the 2009 elections in South Africa. The briefing is to take place in Pretoria on the 21st of January and will be attended by Dr Shauna Mottiar, senior researcher in ACCORDs Knowledge Production Department.
ACCORD has published a report titled Views and Visions of Coexistence in South Africa. The report documents a series of community consultations in three South African communities – Stutterheim in the Eastern Cape and Muden and Mpumalanga in KwaZulu Natal, where community members were invited to share their remarkable stories of transiting from violent conflict to cooperative post-conflict coexistence.
ACCORD Trustee Madam Graça Machel was elected as the Chair of ACCORD’s Board of Trustees at ACCORD’s Trustees Meeting that was held on 3 December 2008. Madam Machel took over the Chair from H.E. Ambassador Sibusiso Bengu.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, attended the second annual general meeting of AfAP, from 20-21 November 2008, in Nairobi, Kenya. AfAP which is a tripartite partnership agreement between ACCORD, the Nairobi Peace Initiative-Africa (NPI-Africa) and the West Africa Network for Peace-building (WANEP). The aim of the partnership is to share experiences and lessons learnt in the field of peacebuilding.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at a workshop hosted by the Embassy of Finland in honour of a delegation of eleven individuals on a study tour of South Africa on 17 November in Pretoria. The Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs has launched a programme to familiarize top Finnish decision-makers with global development issues and the practices of development cooperation.
- Peacebuilding Stakeholders from Sudan meet in Uganda
- Norway and ACCORD sign new TfP agreement
- Lee Ann Sedowski visits ACCORD
- ACCORD discusses global developments with Burundian and Indian delegations
- ACCORD Hosts Peacebuilding Workshop in Bujumbura, Burundi
- Peacebuilding Programme Participates in NUPI R2P Seminar
- NUPI director Jan Egeland visits ACCORD
- ACCORD trains peacebuilders in Liberia
- Former US Ambassador to Burkina Faso visits ACCORD
- ACCORD host new Swedish Ambassador to SA
- ACCORD trains Somali Joint Security Committee
- Gounden attends dinner with new Swedish Ambassador to SA
- Co-operation between government and NGO’s in Angola
- Study tour and training for Southern Sudan Legislative Assembly
- Gounden resource person at Folke Bernadotte Academy's mediation workshop
- APCP conducts peacebuilding training in DRC
- Gounden contributes to SA Government scenarios 2025 process
- Gounden attends Indian Consul reception dinner
- Peacebuilding Programme hosts Curriculum Development Workshop
- Burundi work featured in Guardian newspaper