As part of a series of initiatives geared towards violence prevention during the May to September 2010 communal, presidential, legislative and local elections in Burundi, ACCORD’s Burundi Office will conduct conflict management training for youth leaders.
On 06 February 2010 ACCORD hosted the Sudanese Ambassador to South Africa, H.E. Ambassador Ali Al Shariff. Sudan is one of the countries that ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit is working in. The Ambassador joined ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit Staff in a strategy meeting to look at the current situation and ACCORD’s activities in Sudan.
On 05 February 2010 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by H.E. Ambassador Myllyntausta, the Finnish Ambassador to South Africa, to meet with H.E. Ambassador Pasi Patokallio, the Special Representative of the Finnish Minister of Foreign Affairs.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was a resource person at an international trade negotiation training which ACCORD conducted in partnership with the International Senior Lawyers Programme (ISLP) in Uganda between 26 – 29 January 2010.
ACCORD's Peacekeeping and Peacemaking Units, in partnership with the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), held an AMISOM confidence-building workshop for the current and potential troops contributing countries (TCCs) at the Speke Resort and Conference Centre in Kampala, Uganda on 2-3 December 2009.
ACCORD's Executive Director, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at the 'Joint South African-German Training Programme for Diplomats from SADC Countries' that ran from 23 November to the 1st of December 2009. The training was organised by the diplomatic academies of the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation, and the Federal Foreign Office of the Federal Republic of Germany.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme participated in the 3rd Annual African Standby Force (ASF) Training Implementation Workshop that was held from 04 – 05 February 2010 in Nairobi, Kenya. The workshop was aimed at developing an integrated (civilian, police and military) training implementation plan for the ASF for 2010 - 2011.
The African Union Mission for Somalia (AMISOM) visited ACCORD from 27 – 28 January 2010 to renew and strengthen the relationship and collaboration that exists between the two entities. During the visit ACCORD and AMISOM had the opportunity to, among other things, discuss issues relating to ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme’s continued support to the mission.
The Trustees and Staff of ACCORD wish you a peaceful new year!
Mr. Karanja Mbugua, an analyst in ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit, represented ACCORD at the International Sudan Studies Conference which took place at the University of South Africa (UNISA) in Pretoria on 26 November 2009. The three-day conference was organised UNISA and its theme is The Future of Sudan to 2011 and Beyond: African Dimensions of the Peace, Stability, Justice and Reconciliation.
On 30 November 2009 ACCORD, in partnership with the Gandhi Development Trust, hosted a farewell dinner for the outgoing Indian Consul General in Durban, Mr. Harsh Vardhan Shringla. Mr. Shringla was a keen supporter of ACCORD’s work and visited ACCORD on many occasions bringing with him a variety of high profile guests.
- ACCORD Board of Trustees holds final meeting for 2009
- Gounden responds to address by Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs
- ACCORD addresses EU Development Councilors
- ACCORD meets former Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Liberia
- ACCORD at DIRCO diplomatic training, research and analysis conference
- ACCORD observes 2009 SA Elections
- Views and Visions of Coexistence in South Africa
- ACCORD hosts Joint Peacebuilding Training & Study Tour
- South African DIRCO’s diplomatic Training, Research and Analysis Conference
- ACCORD hosts exploratory dialogue forum for northern Sudan CSOs
- Exploratory Dialogue Forum for Northern Sudanese Civil Society Organisations
- ACCORD meets United States Peace Corps Director
- 'Towards a More Strategic Approach in Enhancing the AU’s Capacity in Mediation' Seminar, Ethiopia
- Mediation, Conflict Resolution, and International Politics Seminar, Finland
- UN DPKO & ACCORD working together on UN Civil Affairs Handbook
- TfP/ACCORD participate in SADC standby force field training exercise after action review workshop
- ACCORD meets former DIFID Southern Africa conflict advisor
- Conflict Management Training for Norwegian Refugee Council in Bujumbura
- TFP/ACCORD participates in SADC Standby Force field training exercise
- Sellström invited to Luthuli Museum for International Peace Day