TfP/ACCORD participated in and chaired an APSTA Technical Committee Meeting (TCM) held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (hosted by the APSTA Secretariat at the Institute for Security Studies (ISS) on 17 May 2009.
TfP/ACCORD undertook a series of consultative meetings at the UN DPKO Headquarters from 4-6 May 2009. Meetings were held with the DPKO-AU PST, the Integrated Training Service (ITS), the Department of Political Affairs (DPA), the Department of Field Services (DFS), the Peacekeeping Best Practices Unit, and the Norwegian Permanent Mission to the UN.
TfP/ACCORD participated in an Africa Civil-military Coordination (CIMIC) Review Workshop hosted by the African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) at ACCORD. Within the UN context, CIMIC is one of the specific areas of peacekeeping doctrine under review and a review workshop was hosted in Singapore in March 2009, bringing together CIMIC stakeholders from the Asia-Pacific region.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD in collaboration with the Southern Africa Development Community Regional Peacekeeping Training Centre (SADC-RPTC), conducted a four (4) day Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course for the Southern Africa Development Community Brigade (SADCBRIG) from 15 – 18 April 2009 in Maputo, Mozambique.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was recently invited to participate in the 2009 African Mediators Retreat, which was held in Zanzibar from 24-26 March 2009. The retreat was co-hosted by the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue (HD Centre) and the Mwalimu Nyerere foundation.
On 27 March 2009 ACCORD staff Jerome Sachane (Deputy Director), Hayden Allen (General Manager: Corporate Affairs), and Karishma Rajoo (Manager: Interventions), attended an election briefing update by the KwaZulu Natal Provincial Office of the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC).
In a collaborative endeavour with the United Nations (UN) Department of Peacekeeping Operations, the Peacebuilding Unit at ACCORD hosted a Civil Military Guidance Development Workshop in Kampala, Uganda from 22-23 April, 2009. This two day workshop brought together senior officials from the civilian, military and police units of the UN missions across Africa.
KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Elections
ACCORD, in association with NPI-Africa & WANEP
Political violence in the Province of KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) has claimed the lives of as many as 20,000 people since 1984. More than half of these deaths occurred after 1990, that is after the unbanning of liberation movements.
In its efforts to support the Peacebuilding work in Africa, The Peacebuilding Unit at ACCORD conducted a Peacebuilding Training in the Democratic Republic of Congo from 30 March to 03 April 2009. The training, held in the capital city of Kinshasa, brought together 30 stakeholders from the United Nations Mission and the United Nations Country Teams.
ACCORD has published a report titled Views and Visions of Coexistence in South Africa. The report documents a series of community consultations in three South African communities – Stutterheim in the Eastern Cape and Muden and Mpumalanga in KwaZulu Natal, where community members were invited to share their remarkable stories of transiting from violent conflict to cooperative post-conflict coexistence.
On 24 March 2009 ACCORD Senior Advisor Tor Sellstrom and Shauna Mottiar, a Senior Researcher at ACCORD, attended the Democracy Development Programme’s political party debate which was held at the Elangeni Hotel in Durban, South Africa. Seven South African political parties, who will participate in the upcoming elections to be held in South Africa on 22 April 2009, were represented on the panel.
- ACCORD hosts 1st AGM of Association of Security Sector Education & Training
- TFP/ACCORD participates in Exercise AMANI Africa Planning Meeting
- Events to promote launch of Coexistence Report
- Gounden poem included in Footprint series book
- ACCORD presents at 'HIV/AIDS and the military' conference in Uganda
- ACCORD attends HSRC Xenophobia workshop
- TFP/ACCORD participates AU–EU Training Needs & Capabilities Workshop
- ACCORD and Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs host mediation seminar in Addis Ababa
- TFP/ACCORD participates in Mediation in Africa Seminar
- ACCORD conducts CPPC course for ONUCI
- Gounden invited to US Consulate panel discussion on race
- Salim A. Salim visits ACCORD to gather information on election process
- Swedish Defense Research Agency visit ACCORD
- Hon. Commissioner Nancy Boxill visits ACCORD
- ACCORD conducts training for the African Union Mission for Somalia (AMISOM)
- ACCORD researcher attends global symposium on migration
- ACCORD Conducts Training for the African Union Mission for Somalia (AMISOM)
- ACCORD hosts Proscovia Svärd of NAI
- ACCORD attends IEC 2009 elections briefing
- ACCORD re-presents APA to Mpumalanga community