The Republic of South Sudan's Peace Commission and the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for partnership in peace building in South Sudan. Peace Commission chairperson, Chuol Rambang and ACCORD chairperson Vasu Gounden, sign MoU in the presence of VP Riek Machar in Juba on 28 Nov. 2012 (ST)
ACCORD extends it condolences to the Gerwel family on the death of Professor Jakes Gerwel. Professor Jakes Gerwel passed away this morning after undergoing a triple heart by-pass about a week ago. He suffered a stroke on Thursday. Professor Gerwel was one of the five founding Trustees of ACCORD. He will be sadly missed by the Trustees and Staff of ACCORD.
In an ongoing quest to support mediation activities by the African Union and Regional Economic Communities (RECs) in Africa, ACCORD has participated in the 7th bi-annual Mediation Support Network (MSN) Meeting, which served as a platform for promoting exchange about planned and on-going activities in mediation on the continent of Africa. The meeting took place from 10-11 October in Accra, Ghana.
Professor Aparajita Biswas, guest presenter at an ACCORD Internal Staff Seminarwhich was held at ACCORD's office in Durban on 28 September 2012, presented a paper titled 'Changing Perspectives of India's Engagements in Africa' to an audience of ACCORD staff members.
During an Internal Staff Seminar held on 8 August 2012 at the ACCORD offices in Durban, ACCORD Peacekeeping Unit Intern Priyal Singh explored how private security companies working in sub-Saharan Africa facilitate direct foreign investment to oil-rich countries. He examined why the presence of crude oil, and not good governance, is a major factor in explaining high direct foreign investment into particular countries in the region.
With the aim to strengthen partnerships and support the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)'s peacebuilding process, ACCORD's Peacebuilding Unit undertook a five-day consultation with key peacebuilding stakeholders. The DRC is one of the Unit's focus countries and the consultations did not only inform the Unit about the peacebuilding process in the DRC but also enhanced new partnerships and strengthened existing ones. The consultations were useful in shaping the Unit's current engagements with the DRC and confirmed a partnership with the DRC's Ministry of Planning for increased engagement of national and local actors in identifying strategies for a sustainable peacebuilding process. An activity is scheduled to take place in September 2012.
As a means of creating an effective platform for comprehensive dialogue to tackle regional and global challenges, and to actively shape global agendas, in October the Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO), in partnership with the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) hosted a' Training Programme on Managing Regional and Global Governance' (MRGG) together with other leading institutions in South Africa.
ACCORD Trustee, Professor Wiseman Nkuhlu, has been appointed as a Trustee of the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) Foundation for a three year period starting on 1 January 2013.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) conducted Conflict Management Support Training for Civil Affairs Officers (CAOs) in the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) in August, September and October 2012. These initial training courses are a result of a curriculum development process, with tailoring in line with the mission mandate, CAOs roles and functions, and the present context of South Sudan.
Civil society delegates attending the ACCORD-hosted GPPAC Southern Africa Network Meeting, held in Midrand, South Africa on 30 and 31 August 2012, concluded the meeting by agreeing on two conflict prevention priority areas to be included in the Network's annual plan for implementation during 2012/2013.
The Training for Peace Programme (TfP) at ACCORD, hosted a two day workshop in August to review and adopt the draft Security and Contingency Plan for the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM). The draft manual serves as a framework of procedures for managing security threats to the mission and its personnel, particularly the civilian staff and unarmed police.
- ACCORD facilitates Africa Regional Consultation on “Strengthening Partnerships for Civilian Capacities in the Aftermath of Conflict”
- ACCORD Burundi hosts roundtable on peacebuilding in Burundi and the Great Lakes
- ACCORD analyses peacebuilding architecture in Burundi and region
- ACCORD contributes to mobilisation of civilian capacity for peace operations in the global south
- ACCORD facilitates ongoing international training programme to develop African peace and security architecture
- TfP/ACCORD supports AMISOM to mainstream protection of civilians in its operations
- ACCORD participates in GPPAC Asia-Africa Learning Exchange on gender-sensitive conflict analysis
- ACCORD addresses growing role of civilians in sustaining peace at African Regional Peace Support Operations course
- ACCORD provides expert training in conflict resolution, climate change and environment
- ACCORD convenes African women mediators
- ACCORD participates in International Forum for the Challenges of Peace Operations
- ACCORD presents USAID with citation of appreciation for support over 20 years
- ACCORD Trustee and EXCOM Meetings
- ACCORD supports South Africa’s Defence Review Committee with public engagement on defence and security issues
- ACCORD participates in SADC key stakeholders’ roundtable on gender and development
- ACCORD 's Mutisi presents at prestigious ISA conference on global information age
- ACCORD builds local Liberian peacebuilding expertise on justice and security
- ACCORD launches UN Civil Affairs Handbook in collaboration with UN DPKO
- Dr Alejandro Bendana examines road to peace in Somalia at ACCORD seminar
- ACCORD builds localised women’s mediation capacity in South Africa