ACCORD recently partnered with the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) to provide training aimed at empowering women mediators from Sudan and South Sudan. A total of 20 Sudanese and South Sudanese women participated in the five-day training, which focused on ensuring the inclusion of women in peace processes for IGAD taskforces.
In view of the upcoming 2015 elections in Burundi, and as continuation of the country's commitment to ensuring peaceful elections, ACCORD's Burundi Initiative and Training Unit has delivered two training workshops on the management of elections-related disputes for youth wings leaders of all registered political parties in Burundi's towns of Gitega and Ngozi.
On 18 and 19 August 2014, the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) was represented at a validation workshop on the Draft African Transitional Justice Policy Framework (ATJPF) held in Johannesburg, South Africa. The workshop was the final event in a series of consultations to review the draft ATJPF, a document which seeks to fill an identified normative gap in terms of a comprehensive continental policy on the responsibilities, obligations and actions of African Union (AU) member states vis-à-vis issues surrounding transitional justice.
The latest publication by the ACCORD critically discusses the Common African Position (CAP) on the Post-2015 Development Agenda against lessons learnt from operationalisation of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), particularly relevant due to the fact that the MDGs will lapse in 2015, with little progress in meeting the target having been made by African countries.
ACCORD has received the Mahatma Gandhi International (MAGI) Award for Reconciliation and Peace, awarded by the Gandhi Development Trust (GDT), for its 22 years of work in promoting peace and the constructive resolution of disputes globally.
From 18-20 August 2014, ACCORD conducted a workshop on election-related Alternate Dispute Resolution Mechanisms with the Electoral Commissioners Forum of the Southern African Development Community (ECF-SADC). This workshop, which convened approximately thirty Chairpersons and Chief Electoral Officers from the election management bodies of the SADC Member States, strove to both enhance the participants' conflict management skills and to reflect upon the opportunities towards ensuring and promoting the conduct of peaceful elections throughout the region.
From 2 to 4 September 2014, the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD), was represented in the Experts Consultation on Reconciliation as a Mechanism for Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding, hosted by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Johannesburg, South Africa. The consultation, which was organised around the theme 'Reconciliation as a mechanism for conflict prevention and peacebuilding', brought together a large number of international civil society actors, as well as representatives of different United Nations (UN) bodies and agencies.
In close partnership with ACCORD, the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) have organised a Training of Trainers (ToT) Course in International Humanitarian Law (IHL) for Somali National Army (SNA) Officers held in Kampala, Uganda, from 19-28 August 2014. The training was designed to provide understanding and compliance with IHL and International Human Rights Law (IHRL) within the Somali National Army.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) participated in the Exercise AMANI Africa II Pre deployment Courses. This participation contributes to the adequate preparation of the civilians, police and military officers from Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) region who will take part in the Continental Field Training Exercise (FTX).
The United Nations (UN) Peacebuilding Support Office (PBSO) and the UN Peacebuilding Fund (PBF) field staff have been seeking to develop coherence between one another, and to enhance their relationships with other institutions, especially ACCORD and the governments of PBF recipient countries (such as Liberia, Burundi, Côte d'Ivoire, Yemen, and Somalia). A challenge in developing these relationships in the past has been a lack of understanding between actors on the political nature of each of their peacebuilding contexts. The Peacebuilding Unit at ACCORD and the PBF thus partnered for a workshop to discuss the political contexts in specific country cases and other logistical challenges the PBF recipient countries have. As the participants have now returned to their countries, it is hoped that this understanding contributes to better international coherence and partnership between the countries and organisations.
On Friday, 18 July 2014, the ACCORD Staff, in partnership with the Gandhi Development Trust (GDT), celebrated the annual international Nelson Mandela Day by devoting a day of community service and volunteering in support of the Abalindi Old Age and Frail Care Home in Inanda, Durban. The ACCORD Staff spent the day painting and refurbishing the Hall of the Abalindi Old Age Home.
- TfP/ACCORD train UNMISS civil affairs officers on conflict analysis and reporting
- TfP/ACCORD serve as panelists at peace operations workshop in Malawi
- ACCORD co-hosts 4th International Africa Peace and Conflict Resolution conference in partnership with the Centre for African Peace and Conflict Resolution
- ACCORD facilitates key COMESA forum meetings in Seychelles
- ACCORD/TFP take part in 20th IAPTC annual conference and host training methodologies bilateral meeting
- ACCORD participate in Peace Capacities Network 2014 annual meeting in Istanbul
- TfP ACCORD participates in European Union Police Service Training – Exercise LOWLANDS GRENADE
- ACCORD participates in launch and Implementation Workshop of AU Gender, Peace and Security Programme
- Official visit to ACCORD by Minister of Communication and National Reconciliation of Central African Republic
- ACCORD takes part in workshop on regional and national statistical capacities for measuring peace, rule of law and governance
- ACCORD trains key Liberian peacebuilding actors in peacebuilding skills and project management
- ACCORD’s Vasu Gounden presents Perspectives of African Non-state Actors during 10th Anniversary Celebrations of the African Union Peace and Security Council in Addis Ababa
- ACCORD participates in African Union mediation support capacity strategy meeting in Addis Ababa
- ACCORD’s Peacebuilding Unit conduct research trip to better understand dynamics at play in South Sudan
- End Sexual Violence in Conflict
- TfP/ACCORD participates in Stakeholders Validation Workshop on the ECOWAS Standby Force Civilian Dimension Policy Framework
- TfP/ACCORD participate in ECCAS/FOMAC Civilian Component Workshop
- ACCORD supports Joint Solidarity Mission in Central African Republic
- ACCORD and partners in Great Lakes Project attract accolades from AU Special Envoy to the Great Lakes and North Kivu Governor for regional approach to peacebuilding
- Gounden addresses AU Peace and Security Council