ACCORD presented the preliminary findings of an assessment of the United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) Civil Affairs Division (CAD) conflict management initiatives in South Sudan at a UNMIS planning workshop in Juba from 20-21 September 2010.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD facilitated a session on the Civilian Dimension of the African Standby Force (ASF) at the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) Senior Mission Leaders Course (SML) to expose participants to critical aspects in the planning, management and conduct of contemporary multidimensional and integrated peace operations.
ACCORD's Training for Peace (TfP) Programme conducted an in-mission Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders Course for the United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) in Khartoum from 28 – 30 June 2010. The course included both national and international staff from the three components of the mission – civilian, police, and military.
ACCORD’s Peacekeeping Analyst, Gustavo de Carvalho, recently joined Chiefs of Civil Affairs from UN field missions to discuss and coordinate efforts aimed at improving their work at a meeting in New York.
Senior Trainer and Advisor to ACCORD, Mr Cedric de Coning. has published two new research papers exploring different aspects of peace operations. In the online journal, Global Governance, Cedric focuses on the role of the special representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) in the context of UN integrated missions. This special edition of Global Governance focuses on mediation in post-conflict peace operations and we encourage everyone to read this edition of the journal.
ACCORD's Training for Peace Programme (TfP) Programme conducted a three day Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders Course for the African Union / United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID) from 26 – 28 April 2010 in Kampala, Uganda.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD participated in a Southern African Development Community (SADC) - Regional Peacekeeping Training Centre (RPTC) 'Content Development Workshop’, held from 28 – 30 July 2010 in Harare, Zimbabwe.
Peacekeeping Analyst, Gustavo de Carvalho has returned from the United Nations in New York with a fresh outlook on tackling the peackeeping challenges in Africa. Gustavo attended a thematic debate entitled "UN Peacekeeping: looking into the future" held at the UN headquarters on 22 June. The debate was called by the President of the UN General Assembly to allow all member states, academics, Non-Governmental Organisations, and other stakeholders to engage in the discussions on strengthening peacekeeping operations.
ACCORD staff recently flew to Oslo, Norway, to participate in planning the fourth phase of the Training for Peace Programme (TfP) in conjunction with our TfP partners. The meeting from 9-11 June was arranged by the Royal Norwegian Ministry for Foreign Affairs to discuss an updated strategy for the TfP Programme.
ACCORD's Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD and the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) supported the United Nations (UN) Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) in a Workshop on Mission-Wide Protection Strategies on the Protection of Civilians in UN Peacekeeping Operations from 31 May – 01 June 2010 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
View a selection of pictures from the recent ACCORD training for civilian peacekeepers: the Train-the-Trainer course in conflict management for UN peacekeeping missions with a civil affairs component. The event took place from 15-19 March 2010, in Durban.
- ACCORD equips UN trainers with conflict management skills
- ACCORD seconds Peacekeeping Co-ordinator to the African Union
- TfP hosts 7th APSTA Annual General Meeting
- ACCORD hosts Sudanese Ambassador to South Africa, H.E. Ambassador Ali Al Shariff
- ACCORD at ASF Training Implementation Workshop
- AMISOM Visits ACCORD's Durban Offices
- UN DPKO & ACCORD working together on UN Civil Affairs Handbook
- TfP/ACCORD participate in SADC standby force field training exercise after action review workshop
- TFP/ACCORD participates in SADC Standby Force field training exercise
- ACCORD participates in African Union MAPEX
- ACCORD/SADC RPTC conducts Integrated Course for SADC Standby Force
- ACCORD participates in ASF Evaluation Concept Workshop
- AU endorsement of Staffing Training & Rostering (STR) workshop report
- AU PSOD/ACCORD conducts ASF Civilian Dimension technical rostering workshop
- TFP/ACCORD host Jaume Guardans from Europeaid Cooperation Office
- TfP/ACCORD conducts conflict management course for UNAMID
- ACCORD participates in APSTA – European Group On Training (EGT) consultative workshop
- TFP/ACCORD visits UN headquarters in New York
- ACCORD hosts Civil Military Relations Guidance Development Workshop in Uganda
- TFP/ACCORD participates in Africa CIMIC Directive Review Workshop