The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, has been invited by the Embassy of Sweden in Pretoria to participate in an exploratory Security Sector Reform (SSR) meeting at the embassy on 5 March. The meeting is a pre-meeting to a bilateral seminar to be hosted by the Swedish National Defence College (SNDC) in Stockholm in June 2007.
On 1 March 2007, Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, delivered a paper on “Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy’s European Training Course in Security Policy.
The latest edition of International Peacekeeping: The Yearbook of International Peace Operations (Vol II, 2007, Koninklijke Brill N.V.) contains a chapter by Cedric de Coning, ACCORD Research Fellow, on ‘Civil-Military Coordination and UN Peacebuilding Operations’.
On 18 November 2006, Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow in ACCORD's Peace and Security Unit, delivered two presentations on "Complex Peace Building Systems" and "South Africa: Challenges Ahead," respectively, at a seminar on Good Governance in the Horn and South Africa, organised by the Labour Party of the Greater Oslo Area. The seminar took place at Martymer in Oslo, Norway.
Mr. Karanja Mbugua, a Senior Researcher in the Research Unit at ACCORD, will facilitate and participate in an executive course in management of multinational peace missions from 13-17 November in Gaborone, Botswana. The course is arranged by the Centre for Strategic Studies (CSS) at the University of Botswana.
On 9 November 2006, Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow in ACCORD's Peace and Security Unit, delivered a paper on ‘the Future of Peacekeeping in Africa’ at the 8th Annual Seminar on Military Power. The seminar was jointly organised by the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) and the Norwegian Military Academy and took place in Oslo, Norway.
Between January and June 2006, ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme assisted the Peace Support Operations Division of the African Union (AU-PSOD) in formulating a project document entitled a ‘Draft Framework for the Civilian Dimensions of the African Standby Force (ASF)’.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme will provide training support to the Peace Support Operations (PSO) Course coordinated by the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Regional Peace Training Centre (RPTC). The course is scheduled from 13-24 November 2006 at the SADC RPTC in Harare, Zimbabwe.
On 17 November 2006, Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow in ACCORD's Peace and Security Unit, delivered a lecture on “The Dynamics of Conflict and Peace Systems in Africa” at Bjørknes College in Oslo, Norway. The lecture was part of the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) and University of Stellenbosch’s joint masters degree programme in International Studies.
On 14 November 2006, Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow in ACCORD's Peace and Security Unit, delivered a lecture on “Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy's European Training Course in Security Policy.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Senior Programme Officer, Ms Yvonne Kasumba, will participate in the 12th Annual Conference of the International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centres (IAPTC) from 16-20 October 2006 in Santiago, Chile. The conference is hosted by the Chilean Joint Centre for Peacekeeping (CECOPAC), and the main theme for this year is “The Integrated Missions Approach: Implications for Education and Training.”
- ACCORD conducts DDR Specialisation course
- The civilian dimension of the African Standby Force: Technical Experts Workshop
- ACCORD conducts civilian peacekeeping and peacebuilding mission preparedness course
- ACCORD TfP Programme conducts conflict management training for KPSTC
- ACCORD participates in DPKO gender training development workshop
- “Peacekeeping - Peacebuilding: Preparing for the Future” conference
- Privatized military operations study
- ACCORD joins international disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration training group
- ACCORD participates in UPEACE conflict prevention, management & resolution course
- ACCORD trains military observers in Kenya
- ACCORD conducts training for SANDF troops to be deployed to Cote d’Ivoire
- ACCORD hosts DDR curriculum development workshop
- AU seminar on the role of civilian components in peace support operations
- ECOWAS/KAIPTC/TfP Policy Development Workshop