ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Senior Programme Officer, Yvonne Kasumba and the Country Programme’s Manager, Kwezi Mngqibisa are co-facilitating a ‘Conflict Management for Peacekeepers’ training from 18-19 June at the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Regional Peacekeeping Training Centre (RPTC) in Harare, Zimbabwe.
Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow at ACCORD, has been invited to present the main findings of the book - Unintended Consequences of Peacekeeping - which he co-edited with Chiyuki Aoi and Ramesh Thakur, at the 9th Workshop of the Norwegian Atlantic Committee regarding civil-military cooperation on Friday 8 June, in Oslo, Norway.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme will host a Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC) in Pretoria, South Africa, from 21-25 May. The course will involve approximately 25 participants selected from across the continent, and is a key component of the TfP. It aims to prepare experienced civilians, working in various relevant fields of expertise in Africa, for service in peacekeeping and peace building missions.
Ms. Yvonne Kasumba, Senior Programme Officer for ACCORD's Training for Peace Programme, will participate in a “Peacekeeping Training Support and Coordination” workshop in Addis Ababa from 24-26 April, hosted by the African Peace Support Training Association (APSTA).
Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellowwith ACCORD's Peace Operations Unit, will participate in a workshop on 'Coordinated Approaches to Security, Development and Peacemaking: Lessons Learned from Afghanistan and Liberia', hosted by the Centre for Military and Strategic Studies of the University of Calgary and the Washington D.C.-based Institute of World Affairs, from 30-31 March in Calgary, Canada.
Mr Kwezi Mngqibisa, Manager of Country Programmes and Interventions at ACCORD, will be attending a seminar on the “Challenges of Peacekeeping Training in Africa” organised by the Africa Institute of South Africa, from 14-16 March. The seminar will explore the various peacekeeping training institutions and mechanisms on the continent, from regional organisations and RECs, to regional peacekeeping training centres and NGOs in the field.
Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow at ACCORD, will be co-facilitating an UN OCHA Humanitarian Civil-Military Coordination (UN-CMCoord) Course from 22-24 May in Starum, Norway. The UN CMCoord Course is aimed at familiarising representatives from the humanitarian and military community with UN humanitarian policies on civil-military coordination.
On 8 May 2007, Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, will deliver a presentation on “the Future of Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy’s New Issues in Security Course (NISC).
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme has been assisting the African Union Peace Support Operations Division (AU PSOD) with the development of the civilian dimension of the AU African Standby Force (ASF). Specifically the programme has assisted with the formulation of the project document entitled, ‘Draft Policy Framework of the Civilian Dimension of the ASF’.
Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, will brief the G8+ Africa Clearing House meeting on 21 March in Berlin, Germany, on the Civilian Dimension of the African Standby Force (ASF) project. The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD is supporting the AU Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD) with the development of the civilian dimension of the African Standby Force. This project is now in its fourth phase. The project is funded by the Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, has been invited to address a select group of officers from the South African Army on “Preparing the South African Army Future Peace Missions” on 16 March in Tswane, South Africa. The briefing has been arranged in the context of the Army’s Vision 2020 project.
- International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centers (IAPTC) Executive Committee Meeting
- DPKO Peacekeeping Doctrine Workshop
- 2nd Annual Peacekeeping, Stability and Developmental Operations Africa 2007 Conference
- Conflict management for peacekeepers
- ACCORD participates in Swedish security sector reform meeting
- Peace Operations in Africa
- AU PSOD Task Team Meeting in Ethiopia
- ACCORD's Cedric de Coning writes in 'International Peacekeeping'
- ACCORD conducts training for SADC RPTC
- Oslo seminar on good governance in the Horn and South Africa
- Lecture on 'The Dynamics of Conflict and Peace Systems in Africa'
- ACCORD participates in executive course in management of multinational peace missions
- “Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy
- ‘The Future of Peacekeeping in Africa’ at the 8th Annual Seminar on Military Power
- International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centres conference
- ACCORD conducts DDR Specialisation course
- The civilian dimension of the African Standby Force: Technical Experts Workshop
- ACCORD conducts civilian peacekeeping and peacebuilding mission preparedness course
- ACCORD TfP Programme conducts conflict management training for KPSTC
- ACCORD participates in DPKO gender training development workshop