On 04 and 05 July 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at 'Strengthening Preventive Diplomacy and Mediation' Retreat hosted by the Permanent Mission of Turkey to the United Nations (UN) for the UN Security Council, in Istanbul. The Retreat brought together members of the UN Security Council at ambassadorial level, as well as other stakeholders, to discuss ways to strengthen preventive diplomacy and mediation.
Between 10 and 17 June 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Mr. Vasu Gounden, accompanied by ACCORD's Senior Political Advisor, Mr. Aziz Pahad, and ACCORD's General Manager of Corporate Affairs, Mr. Hayden Allen, visited Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark.
On 14 and 15 May 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the African Union (AU) to be one of two external experts invited to attend the strategy session for the AU's Peace and Security Department. ACCORD has a long history of working with the AU, through its various Units. More recently ACCORD has undertaken a programme aimed at building mediation capacity on the Continent for the AU to respond to conflicts. ACCORD also has two staff seconded to the AU.
Staff at ACCORD’s head office in Durban, South Africa, joined the world in observing a moment of silence at 12h00 on 07 April 2011 in honour of those who perished in the Rwandan genocide in 1994.
ACCORD has been recognized as the 5th most influential Think Tank in Sub-Saharan Africa and amongst the top 75 worldwide in an influential annual survey.
ACCORD hosted Professors Ajay Dubey and Aparajita Biswas from India on Wednesday 15 July 2010, as part of ACCORD’s commemoration of 150 years of Indian settlers in KwaZulu Natal. The academics are in South Africa is to look into the contribution of the Indian Diaspora to the development of South Africa over the last 150 years.
On 25 May 2011 ACCORD was invited to be a partner in the hosting of the Africa 11 vs World 11 International Peace Day Soccer Match hosted by the African Union and the Michael Essien Foundation. In 2010 the AU declared 2010 the Year of Peace and Security. Michael Essien, an international soccer player and a Ghanaian national, is an AU Peace Ambassador. The soccer match was a commitment made in 2010, to be held on Africa Day in 2011.
On 16 May 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, opened a training that ACCORD was hosting in North Sudan for the National Centre for Diplomatic Studies. The training was conducted as one of the activities under the MoU that ACCORD signed with the Government of North Sudan in September 2010.
A delegation from the African Hebrew Israelite Community, also known as the African Village of Peace, the largest organized group of Africans living in Israel, led by their anointed Spiritual Leader, His Excellency Ben Ammi Ben Israel, visited ACCORD House on 07 April 2011.
Tor Sellström, a former Senior Advisor at ACCORD, has been awarded an honorary doctorate in Peace and Conflict Research by the University of Uppsala, Sweden.
ACCORD, in its 18 years of finding African solutions to African challenges has moved from experience to excellence in being one of the first Non-Government Organisations to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the government of Sierra Leone.
- AU Chair Dr Jean Ping opens new ACCORD Offices
- SIDA website showcases ACCORD
- ACCORD visit Luthuli museum
- Seasons Greetings!
- Sellström invited to Luthuli Museum for International Peace Day
- Visit by former South African Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Aziz Pahad
- Filmmaker Nandita Das visits ACCORD
- ACCORD hosts Aung San Suu Kyi delegation
- South African Ambassador to the UAE visits ACCORD
- ACCORD host new Swedish Ambassador to SA
- 4th Annual Mahatma Gandhi Salt March held in Durban
- Nordic Africa Institute Visit ACCORD
- ACCORD Staff Team-Build
- ACCORD Hosts Seminar on conflict in Western Sahara
- ACCORD Hosts Sri Lanka-based INPACT
- ACCORD attends IFLA international seminar
- CPIA Director visits ACCORD
- Spanish NGO 'Aprodel' visits ACCORD
- ACCORD associate appointed Director of Political Affairs for United Nations Secretary General
- Zimbabwe-based CPIA visit ACCORD