The African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD)invites academics from the social sciences, practitioners, policy makers and policy researchers to submit abstracts and subsequent papers that consider issues related to climate and conflict challenges and interventions in Africa, and the development of climate change adaptation and mitigation measures that are conflict sensitive.
As part of its institutional learning and capacity-building programme, ACCORD hosted another lively Internal Staff Seminar (ISS) on 18 August 2011 at ACCORD House to engage its staff in dialogue on peacebuilding themes within current peace and security issues in Africa.
ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department is currently recruiting a Research Intern with experience in environment, climate change and conflict. The applicant should have completed, or working towards the completion of, a post-graduate degree in a relative field to environment and climate.
A 'Peace Agreement and Durable Peace in Africa' workshop will be jointly hosted by the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) and Uppsala University in April 2010. ACCORD's Knowledge Production Department (KPD) will be hosting 10 authors from around Africa, who will contribute to an edited volume on peace agreements in Africa. The aim of the workshop is to discuss why some peace agreements fail while others succeed, and assess the contribution of these agreements to durable peace.
Professor Jannie Malan, senior researcher at ACCORD and co-editor of the African Journal on Conflict Resolution, has contributed an article to The Oxford International Encyclopedia of Peace, a four-volume scholarly reference designated the CRS Book of the Year 2010 by the Council of the Conflict Research Society (CRS).
ACCORD presented the preliminary findings of research on climate related conflicts in Sudan to a conference on environmental change and migration. The conference shed light on the complex dynamics of environmentally induced migration and the related impact on communities.
On Thursday, 9 June, ACCORD Senior Research Fellow Angela Ndinga-Muvumba served as a discussant at Sida's launch of the 2011 World Bank Development Report. As the report focuses on the broad themes of conflict, security and development, Ndinga-Muvumba represented and promoted ACCORD's philosophy and work on conflict resolution to a broad constituency of international stakeholders.
From 11-12 April 2011, ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department (KPD), in partnership with Uppsala University, hosted an authors’ workshop entitled Peace Agreements and Durable Peace in Africa in Durban, South Africa. The workshop brought together 10 authors from around Africa who are contributing chapters to a book co-edited by Dr. Grace Maina, Manager: Knowledge Production Department, ACCORD, and Erik Melander, a Professor from the Department of Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala University.
ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department (KPD) recently hosted an internal staff seminar with Dr William Tsuma, the Programme Manager of Action Learning from the Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict (GPPAC) in The Hague. Dr Tsuma gave a talk on preventive action, focusing on bridging the gap between early warning and response.
ACCORD recently hosted a two-day workshop to enhance the writing skills of staff and encourage their contribution to academic and popular debates on African peace and conflict issues.
ACCORD has conducted field research in Sudan to investigate the increasing threat of climate related conflicts in Africa. The research findings will inform the work of policy makers and the NGO sector to deal with and prevent climate related conflicts.
- ACCORD conducts field research in Africa
- ACCORD introduces Academic Writing Workshops
- ACCORD observes 2009 SA Elections
- Views and Visions of Coexistence in South Africa
- KPD hosts Peace Agreements Workshop in Durban
- Uppsala University visits ACCORD
- ACCORD participate in Cape Town Book Fair
- ACCORD publishes coexistence report
- Events to promote launch of Coexistence Report
- ACCORD presents at 'HIV/AIDS and the military' conference in Uganda
- ACCORD attends HSRC Xenophobia workshop
- ACCORD researcher attends global symposium on migration
- ACCORD attends IEC 2009 elections briefing
- ACCORD invited to IEC briefing
- ACCORD presents TOPS seminar in Sweden
- ACCORD Presents at the Global UN-Counter Terrorism Strategy Workshop in NYC
- Field research with Coexistence Initiative
- ACCORD Provides Resource Persons to Uppsala University’s TOPS Course
- Kamidza to speak at round table on investment in Africa
- ACCORD attends World Social Forum meeting