ACCORD’s Deputy Director, Jerome Sachane cemented the organisation’s relationship with the Government of Sierra Leone by visiting with government officials and influential members of the peacebuilding environment in Freetown from 21-25 February. The visit comes a year after ACCORD signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the government of Sierra Leone in April 2010, following the country’s acceptance of ACCORD’s 2010 Africa Peace Award.
The United Nations General Assembly and the Security Council simultaneously adopted Resolution 1947 on the “Review of the Peacebuilding Architecture” on 29 October 2010.
The Resolutions call on “all relevant UN actors to take forward, within their mandates and as appropriate, the recommendations of the report with the main aim of further improving the effectiveness of the Peacebuilding Commission” and also “recognizes that the peacebuilding work of the United Nations requires sustained and adequate resources to meet the challenges”.
In October, ACCORD held a training course in Burundi for a wide range of peacebuilding stakeholders. Participants at the training included representatives from the United Nations Integrated Mission in Burundi (BINUB), United Nations Country Team (UNCT), African Union (AU), Government and civil society in Burundi - all integral to the success of ongoing peacebuilding efforts in the country.
ACCORD's African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) will be conducting training sessions and workshops during July to September. This is tied to ACCORD’s aim of enhancing coherence and coordination of peacebuilding stakeholders through capacity-building initiatives.
In recognition of South Africa’s role as co-facilitator in the review of the United Nations Peacebuilding Commission (PBC), the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) and ACCORD will be jointly hosting an Africa-wide Dialogue to review the progress of the PBC since its establishment in 2005.
National Peace Support Operations Officers of the Malawi Armed Forces listen attentively to an ACCORD presentation on Negotiation and Mediation during a ten-day pre-deployment training programme in Salima, Malawi.
The success of peacebuilding in many countries is largely dependent on regional peace and stability. In collaboration with the Nairobi Peace Initiative-Africa (NPI) and the West African Network for Peace (WANEP), ACCORD will conduct a high-level, regional peacebuilding workshop from 27-29 October 2010 in Monrovia, Liberia. The workshop will bring together key stakeholders from the countries of Guinea-Conakry, Ivory Coast, Liberia and Sierra Leone to create a clearer understanding of regional dynamics in the Mano River Region.
Following the changed mandate of the UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), ACCORD has recently engaged with key peacebuilding stakeholders to consolidate sustainable peace efforts in the country.
Concrete steps must be taken to strengthen the United Nations Peacebuilding Commission (PBC) ability to help countries emerging from conflict, with the aim of not only maintaining peace but promoting economic recovery and sustainable development. President Ernest Bai Koroma of Sierra Leone made this call at the closing of the high-level two-day seminar in Durban recently.
The ACCORD Peacebuilding Unit’s African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) recently organized and conducted a Peacebuilding Workshop in collaboration with the Liberia Peacebuilding Office under the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Liberia. The activity took place from 1-5 March 2010 and brought together a cross section of 26 participants from key regions in Liberia.
Staff from ACCORD’s Peacemaking and Peacebuilding Units travelled to Khartoum, Sudan, for a consultative field mission from 13 - 18 February 2010. The ACCORD team met and engaged with important stakeholders in the peacemaking and peacebuilding processes in Sudan.
- ACCORD meets former Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Liberia
- ACCORD hosts Joint Peacebuilding Training & Study Tour
- ACCORD conducts second conflict management training for UNAMID
- ACCORD run civilian peacebuilding training in Monrovia
- ACCORD conducts peacebuilding training in DRC
- Gounden attends AfAP AGM
- Peacebuilding Stakeholders from Sudan meet in Uganda
- ACCORD Hosts Peacebuilding Workshop in Bujumbura, Burundi
- Peacebuilding Programme Participates in NUPI R2P Seminar
- ACCORD trains peacebuilders in Liberia
- APCP conducts peacebuilding training in DRC
- Peacebuilding Programme hosts Curriculum Development Workshop
- ACCORD Hosts Peacebuilding Workshop in DRC
- ACCORD hosts peacebuilding workshop in Kampala
- ACCORD Hosts Peacebuilding Workshop in Liberia
- Peacebuilding Programme conducts Burundi consultations
- ACCORD holds consultations on peacebuilding process in Liberia
- Finnish government representatives visit ACCORD
- Visit to ACCORD by H.E. High Commissioner Rajiv Bhatia
- African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme Hosts Stakeholders Forum