The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was recently invited to participate in the 2009 African Mediators Retreat, which was held in Zanzibar from 24-26 March 2009. The retreat was co-hosted by the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue (HD Centre) and the Mwalimu Nyerere foundation.
On South African human Rights Day, 21 March 2009, Vasu Gounden attended the launch of the book “More Footprints that shaped our world” by South African author and activist Phyllis Naidoo. Former South African First Lady, Mrs Zanele Mbeki, was the guest speaker at the event.
On 23 February 2009 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a Panel Discussion Moderator at a panel discussion hosted by the United States (US) Consulate in Durban on the topic “Race thinking and thinking about Race”. The discussion was arranged as part of a series of activities planned by the Consulate to mark Black History Month, which is celebrated in the US each February.
On 15 January 2009 the Head of Delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) for the Southern Africa and the Indian Ocean Region, Catherine Gendre, along with ICRC’s Provincial Manager, Derick Naidoo, visited ACCORD House. The aim of the visit was to discuss the work of the ICRC in Southern Africa, the upcoming elections in South Africa and ACCORD’s work in general on the Continent.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at a workshop hosted by the Embassy of Finland in honour of a delegation of eleven individuals on a study tour of South Africa on 17 November in Pretoria. The Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs has launched a programme to familiarize top Finnish decision-makers with global development issues and the practices of development cooperation.
On 21 October 2008 H. E. Ambassador J. Anthony Holmes visited ACCORD House. Ambassador Holmes is the Cyrus Vance Fellow in Diplomatic Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations in the United States (US), where he focuses on Africa and directs the Roundtable Series on African Policy Issues.
On 4 March 2009 ACCORD and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, with the participation of the African Union, hosted a seminar in Addis Ababa entitled “Mediating Peace in Africa: Securing Conflict Prevention”. The seminar, focusing on the role of mediation in Africa and in the developing African Peace and Security Architecture, brought together representatives from the African Union, African Union Member States, civil societyl, development partner governments, and interested parties
On 24 February 2009 the Hon. Commissioner Nancy Boxill, a Board member of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research’s (UNITAR) International Training Centre for Local Authorities in Atlanta (CIFAL Atlanta) visited ACCORD House. Commissioner Boxill is the County Commissioner and Chair of the UNITAR-CIFAL Atlanta Global Leadership Initiative on Gender Equality in Cities.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Crisis Management Initiative (CMI) to travel with the former President of Finland, and 2008 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, H.E. President Marti Ahtisaari, to Liberia for the launch of the “Governance out of the box” programme on 27-28 November 2008, in Monrovia. Discussions were also held on a working partnership between ACCORD and CMI on the above programme.
On 12 November 2008 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, provided a presentation on current global developments and their impact on Africa to a delegation of senior members from the Government of Burundi and senior officers from the College of Defence Management (CDM) from Secunderabad in India.
On the 12th of October 2008 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to attend a small closed dinner hosted by the new Swedish Ambassador to South Africa H.E. Ambassador Peter Tejler for the new Director General of Sida, Mr. Anders Nordstrom.
- Gounden contributes to SA Government scenarios 2025 process
- Gounden attends Indian Consul reception dinner
- Gounden attends state banquet for Venezuelan president
- ICCO-Kerkinactie Regional Consultation Meeting for Southern Africa
- “Challenges Facing an African Diplomat: Now and in the Future” Conference
- ACCORD attends Elite and Public Values Survey Briefing
- ACCORD participates in evaluation of impact of South African Foreign Policy
- 6th Oslo Forum, Norway
- Vasu Gounden attend 18th WEF Africa Summit
- Gounden meets with Swedish Director General for International Development Cooperation
- Vasu Gounden one of three Civil Society Representatives to address TICAD IV
- ACCORD hosts Sri Lankan High Commissioner
- Dr. Ziad Abu-Amr visits ACCORD
- Canadian Evaluation Manager visits ACCORD
- ACCORD hosts first EXCOM meeting of 2008
- ACCORD Staff and Trustees Meet Mandela
- Gounden attends Brussels workshop on the EU’s role in conflict prevention
- Canadian High Commission visit ACCORD
- OECD/DAC Experts Meeting on Developing Practical Guidance on Armed Violence Reduction in Nairobi
- Gounden attends regional meeting on armed violence and development in Kenya