In early August, TfP/ACCORD participated in an African Standby Force (ASF) Civilian Focal Points Planning Workshop aimed at reviewing progress achieved thus far on the development of the ASF civilian dimension at the continental and regional levels and to develop a joint ASF work plan for the upcoming year. This is part of a deliberate effort, supported by TfP/ACCORD and following the continental exercise – Amani Africa I in 2010 – that tested the ASF and its components, to better improve on the civilian and multidimensional aspects of the ASF during this third phase of its development.
Mr Zinurine Alghali, Peacekeeping Unit Senior Programme Officer, represented TfP/ACCORD at the Joint African Union (AU) /European Union (EU) Experts Workshop and contributed to the review of activities undertaken so far with regards to the implementation of the EU support programme to African Training Centres; for the African Standby Force (ASF).
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD recently supported the United Nations (UN) Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) Peacekeeping Best Practices Section (PBPS) in the implementation of their civil affairs skills training methodology by conducting a training-of-trainers course in Liberia, and a civil-affairs course specifically, for UNMIL. The training courses were aimed at ensuring Civil Affairs Officers are equipped with the required skills, and to develop a pool of trainers that can implement the DPKO's 'Civil Affairs Skills Training Methodology'.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD was recently invited by the British Peace Support Team (BPST) to deliver training modules for a Peace Support Operations Staff Officer’s course at the Malawian Armed Forces College (MAFCO). The two-week integrated (Civilian, Police, and Military personnel) Staff Officer’s course was for Officers that will be deployed to African Union (AU) or United Nations (UN) Peace Support Operations (PSO) on the continent.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace Programme recently hosted an African Union (AU) Technical Workshop for the Heads and Civilian Dimension Focal Points of the African Standby Force (ASF).
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD facilitated a session on the Civilian Dimension of the African Standby Force (ASF) at the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) Senior Mission Leaders Course (SML) to expose participants to critical aspects in the planning, management and conduct of contemporary multidimensional and integrated peace operations.
Peacekeeping analyst Gustavo de Carvalho represented TfP/ACCORD in a panel discussion on "Reflection from the Training Community" at the Training & Rostering Community Consultation on the United Nations (UN) Report of the Independent Review of Civilian Capacity in the Aftermath of Conflict. The Consultation was aimed at providing a forum for the civilian training and rostering community to consider and comment on the above-mentioned UN report, and to agree on steps to implement aspects of the report that may address training and rostering related issues.
ACCORD’s successful partnership with the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) continues to support the United Nations to define and strengthen its work on the Protection of Civilians (PoC). In the partnership’s latest initiative, ACCORD and NUPI co-hosted a UN feedback session on current PoC training modules in Kampala, Uganda from 28-29 March 2011.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD, in partnership with the African Union (AU) and United Nations (UN), held a consultation on the Review of Civilian Capacities for Peace Operations in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on 08 December 2010.
ACCORD presented the preliminary findings of an assessment of the United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) Civil Affairs Division (CAD) conflict management initiatives in South Sudan at a UNMIS planning workshop in Juba from 20-21 September 2010.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD participated in a Southern African Development Community (SADC) - Regional Peacekeeping Training Centre (RPTC) 'Content Development Workshop’, held from 28 – 30 July 2010 in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- ACCORD conducts Conflict Management training for UNMIS
- ACCORD attends UN debate in New York
- ACCORD presents draft Civil Affairs Handbook in New York
- ACCORD plans Phase Four of the TfP Programme
- ACCORD papers published in online journals
- ACCORD supports UN Mission Strategies on Protection of Civilians
- ACCORD holds Conflict Management Course for UNAMID Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders
- Image gallery from UN ToT
- ACCORD equips UN trainers with conflict management skills
- ACCORD seconds Peacekeeping Co-ordinator to the African Union
- TfP hosts 7th APSTA Annual General Meeting
- ACCORD hosts Sudanese Ambassador to South Africa, H.E. Ambassador Ali Al Shariff
- ACCORD at ASF Training Implementation Workshop
- AMISOM Visits ACCORD's Durban Offices
- UN DPKO & ACCORD working together on UN Civil Affairs Handbook
- TfP/ACCORD participate in SADC standby force field training exercise after action review workshop
- TFP/ACCORD participates in SADC Standby Force field training exercise
- ACCORD participates in African Union MAPEX
- ACCORD/SADC RPTC conducts Integrated Course for SADC Standby Force
- ACCORD participates in ASF Evaluation Concept Workshop