The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has collaborated with AU Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD) in undertaking a study focusing on the roles of the civilian component in the African-led International Support Mission in the Central African Republic (MISCA) and in the AU Mission in Somalia (AMISOM). The study is part of a larger research that seeks to analyse all the AU peace support operations (PSOs) in Africa in this context.
ACCORD's Training for Peace (TfP) Programme has since 1995 contributed to the building of sustainable African civilian and police capacities for peace operations in Africa, encompassing a focus on training, rostering, policy support and applied research. In March 2013, a TfP Research Network was created to promote greater cooperation and collaboration in research on issues of common interest amongst TfP Partners. As part of the TfP Research Network, TfP/ACCORD participated in a field study on "Policing in Peace Operations in Africa: the case of UNAMID".
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) participated in the Exercise AMANI Africa II Pre deployment Courses. This participation contributes to the adequate preparation of the civilians, police and military officers from Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) region who will take part in the Continental Field Training Exercise (FTX).
The Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has participated in a 'Policy to Practice: Peace Operations in Africa Workshop' in Lilongwe, Malawi. The workshop focused on linking the expectations of United Nations (UN) chapter seven missions to strategic guidance — with specific emphasis on robust operations, which include, the protection of civilians, gender mainstreaming, challenges of transitioning African-led missions to the UN operations; and the transfer of UN peacekeeping security responsibilities to civilian authorities. The Workshop endeavoured to move the discussions and analysis forward, toward greater relevancy for peacekeepers in the field. ACCORD's expertise in peace operations in Africa strengthened the discussions during the workshop.
The Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme and Africa Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) at ACCORD have participated in the 2014 Peace Capacities (PeaceCap) Network's Annual Partners Meeting. As the South Africa's representative in the Network, ACCORD's participation in the meeting sought to further develop and strengthen civilian capacities in peacekeeping and peacebuilding in Africa to respond to Multidimensional peace support operations.
In fulfilling its objective of providing support to the Africa Standby Force (ASF) and the Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and Regional Mechanisms in Africa through policy development, the Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) participated in a validation workshop hosted by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Standby Force (ESF).
In close partnership with ACCORD, the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) have organised a Training of Trainers (ToT) Course in International Humanitarian Law (IHL) for Somali National Army (SNA) Officers held in Kampala, Uganda, from 19-28 August 2014. The training was designed to provide understanding and compliance with IHL and International Human Rights Law (IHRL) within the Somali National Army.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD was requested by the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) to conduct a training for its International and National Civil Affairs Officers (CAOs) on Conflict Analysis and Reporting. This training aimed at enhancing the existing skills of the twenty two (22) UNMISS Civil Affairs Officers in Conflict Analysis while further providing them with required skills to report on conflict so as to effectively contribute to the implementation of the mission's mandate focusing on the mission's five priority areas.
As a member of IAPTC, the Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) have participated at this year's IAPTC Annual Conference to further strengthen and broaden the understanding of the African peace operations issues as well as the civilian dimension of peace operations within the international peacekeeping training community.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD has participated in the 2014 European Union Police Service Training (EUPST) session which focused on the development of a rapid deployment capability of police elements in crisis management operations, and to train and evaluate the preparation, planning and Tactics, Techniques and Procedures and the conduct of all necessary activities within the scope of EUPST.
The Training for Peace in Africa (TfP) Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) was invited to participate and contribute in a workshop organised by the civilian component of Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS) Standby Force, the Force Multinationale de l'Afrique Centrale (FOMAC) in French.
- ACCORD attends TfP AGM and ECOWAS meetings in 2014
- TfP/ACCORD participates in fourth AMISOM lessons learnt conference
- TfP ACCORD evaluates its Collaborative Conflict Management Training Package for UNMISS
- TfP/ACCORD conduct AMISOM Gender Mainstreaming Strategy Workshop for the development of mission-specific strategy with AU Commission
- TfP/ACCORD conduct AMISOM Protection of Civilians Strategy Implementation Plan Workshop in collaboration with AU Commission
- TfP attends African Peace Support Trainers' Association 11th Annual General Meeting
- TfP hosts Fourth Annual African Standby Force Civilian Focal Points Planning meeting
- ACCORD engages in Civilian Capacities Network meeting in Oslo
- ACCORD Signs a Memorandum of Understanding with AMISOM
- ACCORD hosts briefing on AMISOM in Pretoria, South Africa
- TfP/ACCORD attends UN Training of Trainers Course for Protection of Civilians
- ACCORD attends Civilian Capacity Network workshop on government-provided personnel in the rule of law domain
- TfP/ACCORD hosts UNMISS Civil Affairs collaborative conflict management advanced mediation retreat
- TfP-ACCORD takes part in AFDEM strategic planning workshop
- ACCORD co-hosts 6th Annual ASF Training Implementation Workshop
- ACCORD hosts TfP partners to examine communication strategy
- TfP Research Network meet in Oslo
- Global conference examines protection of civilians under international humanitarian law
- Civilian Capacities Roundtable examines South Africa’s civilian roles in the aftermath of conflict
- TfP/ACCORD takes part in ISS Seminar on "Future African Peace Operations: From Scenarios to Force Preparations"