Senior Trainer and Advisor to ACCORD, Mr Cedric de Coning. has published two new research papers exploring different aspects of peace operations. In the online journal, Global Governance, Cedric focuses on the role of the special representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) in the context of UN integrated missions. This special edition of Global Governance focuses on mediation in post-conflict peace operations and we encourage everyone to read this edition of the journal.
ACCORD's Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD and the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) supported the United Nations (UN) Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) in a Workshop on Mission-Wide Protection Strategies on the Protection of Civilians in UN Peacekeeping Operations from 31 May – 01 June 2010 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
View a selection of pictures from the recent ACCORD training for civilian peacekeepers: the Train-the-Trainer course in conflict management for UN peacekeeping missions with a civil affairs component. The event took place from 15-19 March 2010, in Durban.
ACCORD’s Peacekeeping Co-ordinator, Yvonne Kasumba will take-up a six month secondment to the African Union (AU) as the Civilian Liason Officer in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from the 1st April 2010.
On 06 February 2010 ACCORD hosted the Sudanese Ambassador to South Africa, H.E. Ambassador Ali Al Shariff. Sudan is one of the countries that ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit is working in. The Ambassador joined ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit Staff in a strategy meeting to look at the current situation and ACCORD’s activities in Sudan.
The African Union Mission for Somalia (AMISOM) visited ACCORD from 27 – 28 January 2010 to renew and strengthen the relationship and collaboration that exists between the two entities. During the visit ACCORD and AMISOM had the opportunity to, among other things, discuss issues relating to ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme’s continued support to the mission.
ACCORD's Training for Peace Programme (TfP) Programme conducted a three day Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders Course for the African Union / United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID) from 26 – 28 April 2010 in Kampala, Uganda.
To meet the increased demand for training civilian peacekeepers, ACCORD, through its Peacekeeping Unit, recently hosted a Train-the-Trainer course in conflict management for UN peacekeeping missions with a civil affairs component. The event took place from 15-19 March 2010, in Durban.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD, in its capacity as holder of the Presidency of the African Peace Support Trainers’ Association (APSTA) for 2009, hosted the 7th APSTA Annual General Meeting (AGM) from 18 – 19 February 2010 in Durban, South Africa.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme participated in the 3rd Annual African Standby Force (ASF) Training Implementation Workshop that was held from 04 – 05 February 2010 in Nairobi, Kenya. The workshop was aimed at developing an integrated (civilian, police and military) training implementation plan for the ASF for 2010 - 2011.
The TfP programme at ACCORD is assisting the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) with the development of a Civil Affairs Handbook. Civil Affairs is one of the largest civilian components in UN peacekeeping, with around 500 staff members currently deployed in the field to facilitate the implementation of peacekeeping mandates at the sub-national level.
- TfP/ACCORD participate in SADC standby force field training exercise after action review workshop
- TFP/ACCORD participates in SADC Standby Force field training exercise
- ACCORD participates in African Union MAPEX
- ACCORD/SADC RPTC conducts Integrated Course for SADC Standby Force
- ACCORD participates in ASF Evaluation Concept Workshop
- AU endorsement of Staffing Training & Rostering (STR) workshop report
- AU PSOD/ACCORD conducts ASF Civilian Dimension technical rostering workshop
- TFP/ACCORD host Jaume Guardans from Europeaid Cooperation Office
- TfP/ACCORD conducts conflict management course for UNAMID
- ACCORD participates in APSTA – European Group On Training (EGT) consultative workshop
- TFP/ACCORD visits UN headquarters in New York
- ACCORD hosts Civil Military Relations Guidance Development Workshop in Uganda
- TFP/ACCORD participates in Africa CIMIC Directive Review Workshop
- ACCORD conducts CPPC course for civilian component of SADC Standby Force
- ACCORD hosts 1st AGM of Association of Security Sector Education & Training
- TFP/ACCORD participates in Exercise AMANI Africa Planning Meeting
- TFP/ACCORD participates AU–EU Training Needs & Capabilities Workshop
- TFP/ACCORD participates in Mediation in Africa Seminar
- ACCORD conducts CPPC course for ONUCI
- Swedish Defense Research Agency visit ACCORD