As a partner institution of the Civilian Capacity (CIVCAP) Network which represents South Africa (SA), the Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) and SA government officials attended a workshop on Government Provided Personnel (GPP) in the Rule of Law area. The workshop aimed at enhancing the knowledge and understanding of the CIVCAP Network partner countries on the GPP modalities for the deployment of CIVCAP within the Rule of Law area. In addition, it also aimed to inform CivCap Network partners about the substantive gaps where the United Nations (UN) needs civilian capacities.
As part of its Collaborative Conflict Management (CCM) training package developed for Civil Affairs Officers within United Nations (UN) missions, TfP/ACCORD conducted an Advanced Mediation Training Retreat for Senior Civil Affairs Officers (CAOs) of the United Nations Missions in South Sudan (UNMISS). The Advanced Mediation Retreat aims to provided 14 senior/experienced UNMISS Civil Affairs staff, with advanced techniques and approaches on mediation, and traditional conflict resolution mechanisms suitable for the South Sudan context.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has co-hosted the 6thAnnual African Standby Force (ASF) Training Implementation Workshop organised by the African Union (AU) Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD), in Pretoria, South Africa from 5th - 7th June 2013. The workshop was attended by approximately 50 participants, drawn from the African Union Commission (AUC), Regional Economic Communities/ Regional Mechanisms (RECs/RMs), The African Peace Support Trainers' Association (APSTA), Training Centers of Excellence, United Nations Office to African Union (UNOAU), South African government and Partners.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD has participated in a TfP Research Network Meeting organized by the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI), with the aim to discuss on police related research, and to reflect on the recommendations of the review of the TfP police dimension, with regards to the role of police in peace operations. The meeting facilitated joint discussion and strategizes the need to focus more work on the police dimension of peacekeeping, to help reform the police component in peace operations worldwide.
Under the auspices of the Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme and the African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP), ACCORD has hosted a South African Civilian Capacities Roundtable with key South African stakeholders in the peacekeeping and peacebuilding fields. Developments in the peacekeeping-peacebuilding nexus have focused attention on civilian roles and expertise in peace operations, and enabled new and appropriate responses to challenges faced in post-conflict societies. This meeting was aimed at improving civilian deployments for South Africa's bilateral assistance to, and multilateral engagements in, post-conflict societies.
As part of its training support to United Nations missions, the Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme at ACCORD has started an Online Mentoring Support Network (MSN) for the United Nations Missions in South Sudan (UNMISS). The aim of the MSN is to support Civil Affairs Officers (CAOs), in utilizing the Collaborative Conflict Management (CCM) tools and techniques shared during the initial CCM training courses that the programme conducted in 2012.
TfP/ACCORD has participated in the African Civilian Response Capacity for Peace Operations (AFDEM) strategic planning workshop. The workshop aims to develop a consolidated strategic direction of AFDEM, which will take into account the expectations of all stakeholders. The engagement presents an opportunity to discuss and agree on expectations, create solutions, formulate collaborations, define objectives and also roles and responsibilities.
ACCORD, under the auspices of the Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme, hosted a Communication Package workshop which commenced from 18th-19th June 2013. The workshop was attended by international representatives from the TfP partners. As the focal point of the workshop, ACCORD was designated with the responsibility to redesign and rebuild the TfP Communication Package strategy to enhance the branding of the TfP Programme and also improve coordination and collaboration between the partners.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has participated in a global conference on Reclaiming the Protection of Civilians Under International Humanitarian Law (IHL). The conference, organized by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, provided a forum for member states, military experts, and humanitarian and civil society organizations to discuss and review practical recommendations that will address various challenges in protecting civilians in armed conflict, and to further promote respect and compliance of IHL, and minimize civilian causality by all parties to a conflict.
The Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) participated in the seminar hosted by the Institute for Security Studies (ISS) on "Future African Peace Operations: From Scenarios to Force Preparations" held on 25 April 2013, in Pretoria, South Africa. The objective was to increase knowledge and agreement on the role of scenarios as a necessary element for planning - since scenario planning provides a key platform and future view on what can be expected and how best to prepare for future peace operations. The Programme was represented by Ms. Seun Abiola – Peacekeeping Unit Senior Programme Officer.
The Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme at ACCORD has participated in the TfP Annual General Meeting (AGM) in New York. The AGM aims to highlight the TfP Programmes main achievements and developments in 2012 and present its work plans for implementation in 2013. The meeting was also aimed at sharing feedback on reporting and planning templates, management cycle timelines, and enhanced collaboration amongst the TfP partners.
- ACCORD elected Civilian Chair for 19th IAPTC Annual Conference
- TfP/ACCORD consults AU on peace support operations
- TfP attends workshop on understanding and integrating local perceptions in multidimensional UN Peacekeeping Operations
- APSTA colloquium examines peace support operations
- TfP/ACCORD Supports key regional training centres of excellence on protection of civilians training
- TfP/ACCORD delivers mission-specific training for UNMISS Civil Affairs Officers
- ACCORD Supports AMISOM’s security and contingency plans for civilian and police personnel
- ACCORD contributes to mobilisation of civilian capacity for peace operations in the global south
- TfP/ACCORD supports AMISOM to mainstream protection of civilians in its operations
- ACCORD addresses growing role of civilians in sustaining peace at African Regional Peace Support Operations course
- ACCORD participates in International Forum for the Challenges of Peace Operations
- ACCORD supports South Africa’s Defence Review Committee with public engagement on defence and security issues
- ACCORD launches UN Civil Affairs Handbook in collaboration with UN DPKO
- ACCORD meets AU and UNOA officials to strengthen partnerships around the continental security architecture
- ACCORD working to enhance civilian capacities in the aftermath of conflicts
- ACCORD TfP Programme supports strengthening of UNMISS Civil Affairs
- Enhancing the nexus between peacekeeping and peacebuilding: an overview of ACCORD’s 2011 activities
- ACCORD supports AU's 'Conduct and Discipline Guidelines' development process
- ACCORD trains South African National Defence Force officers in negotiation and mediation
- TfP/ACCORD participates in African Standby Force focal points planning workshop