As a member of IAPTC, the Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) have participated at this year's IAPTC Annual Conference to further strengthen and broaden the understanding of the African peace operations issues as well as the civilian dimension of peace operations within the international peacekeeping training community.
The Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme and Africa Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) at ACCORD have participated in the 2014 Peace Capacities (PeaceCap) Network's Annual Partners Meeting. As the South Africa's representative in the Network, ACCORD's participation in the meeting sought to further develop and strengthen civilian capacities in peacekeeping and peacebuilding in Africa to respond to Multidimensional peace support operations.
In fulfilling its objective of providing support to the Africa Standby Force (ASF) and the Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and Regional Mechanisms in Africa through policy development, the Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) participated in a validation workshop hosted by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Standby Force (ESF).
The Training for Peace in Africa (TfP) Programme at ACCORD has participated in the TfP Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Abuja. The AGM's purpose is to highlight TfP's main achievements and developments in 2013, and present its work plans for implementation in 2014. The meeting also allowed for the sharing of feedback amongst the TfP partners on issues relating to reporting and planning templates, management cycle timelines, curriculum development, applied research and enhanced collaboration.
Following a Training Needs Assessment in 2011, the Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has developed a training package for the Civil Affairs Division (CAD) in the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS). The training package aims to enhance the implementation of Civil Affairs Officers' roles, functions and tasks, utilising the CCM tools and techniques. TfP/ACCORD conducted an evaluation of these trainings to assess the utility and the impact of the training package on the work of Civil Affairs.
The Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) was requested by the African Union (AU) Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD) to conduct an African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) Protection of Civilians Strategy Implementation Plan Workshop for the development of a mission – specific Protection of Civilians Strategy for AMISOM's peace support operations. With a view of operationalising the AMISOM PoC strategy, the workshop provided an opportunity to develop an implementation plan that will support the mainstreaming of PoC activities within AMISOM operations.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD has participated in the 2014 European Union Police Service Training (EUPST) session which focused on the development of a rapid deployment capability of police elements in crisis management operations, and to train and evaluate the preparation, planning and Tactics, Techniques and Procedures and the conduct of all necessary activities within the scope of EUPST.
The Training for Peace in Africa (TfP) Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) was invited to participate and contribute in a workshop organised by the civilian component of Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS) Standby Force, the Force Multinationale de l'Afrique Centrale (FOMAC) in French.
The Training for Peace Program at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD), was requested by the Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD) of the African Union (AU) in partnership with the British Peace Support Team (East Africa), to attend the Fourth Lessons Learned Conference to capture lessons from AMISOMs operations and understand the current threat and dynamics, as the basis for Pre-deployment Training within ongoing operations. Further, it provided the opportunity to understand areas of strength and weakness at the strategic, operational, and tactical levels. The conference provided a platform for parties involved in AMISOM to share their experiences and lessons learnt for the common good, in order that it may inform and enhance the continued development of AMISOM Pre-deployment Training, as well as its Tactics, Techniques and Procedures, and thus contribute to AMISOM's continued operational success.
The Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) was requested by the African Union (AU) to conduct an African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) Gender Mainstreaming Strategy Workshop to develop a mission – specific Gender Mainstreaming Strategy, for the mainstreaming of gender perspectives into its operations. The workshop provided a platform to advance creative joint modalities between the AU Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD) and AMISOM, on how to move forward in addressing the persisting reality of continued marginalisation of women from formal peace processes, increased insecurity and high levels of violence against women and girls.
As a member institution of the African Peace Support Trainers' Association (APSTA), the Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has participated in the 11th Annual General Meeting, themed "Working together to improve the capacity for peace support operations in Africa: the role, contribution and opportunities for APSTA in supporting African Union (AU) responsibility in maintaining peace and security".
- TfP hosts Fourth Annual African Standby Force Civilian Focal Points Planning meeting
- ACCORD engages in Civilian Capacities Network meeting in Oslo
- ACCORD Signs a Memorandum of Understanding with AMISOM
- ACCORD hosts briefing on AMISOM in Pretoria, South Africa
- TfP/ACCORD attends UN Training of Trainers Course for Protection of Civilians
- ACCORD attends Civilian Capacity Network workshop on government-provided personnel in the rule of law domain
- TfP/ACCORD hosts UNMISS Civil Affairs collaborative conflict management advanced mediation retreat
- TfP-ACCORD takes part in AFDEM strategic planning workshop
- ACCORD co-hosts 6th Annual ASF Training Implementation Workshop
- ACCORD hosts TfP partners to examine communication strategy
- TfP Research Network meet in Oslo
- Global conference examines protection of civilians under international humanitarian law
- Civilian Capacities Roundtable examines South Africa’s civilian roles in the aftermath of conflict
- TfP/ACCORD takes part in ISS Seminar on "Future African Peace Operations: From Scenarios to Force Preparations"
- ACCORD starts online mentoring for UNMISS Civil Affairs Officers in South Sudan
- TfP AGM and UN Meetings 2013
- ACCORD elected Civilian Chair for 19th IAPTC Annual Conference
- TfP/ACCORD consults AU on peace support operations
- TfP attends workshop on understanding and integrating local perceptions in multidimensional UN Peacekeeping Operations
- APSTA colloquium examines peace support operations