The political dialogue in CAR, currently coordinated by the Transitional CAR Government, the International Contact Group (ICG-CAR) and the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS), was composed of a series of international meetings in order to support the dialogue and reconciliation process.
The solid partnership that ACCORD continues to share with the African Union (AU) recently flourished at the Fifth Annual High-Level Retreat of Special Envoys and Mediators on the Promotion of Peace Security and Stability in Africa. Themed 'Silencing the Guns – Owning the Future,' the Retreat was held in the Tanzanian city of Arusha from 21-23 October 2014. The Retreat was organised by the AU and hosted by the government of the United Republic of Tanzania. ACCORD and the Institute for Security Studies (ISS) provided technical support to the event.
The African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) and the African Union (AU) collaborated to produce the AU Mediation Support Handbook. The recently published handbook is a general reference and field study guide for mediation teams and lead mediators deployed on AU mediation missions. With mediation in Africa having moved from an ad hoc intervention to a more institutionalised approach, there is a need for further training, information gathering and dissemination, as well as strategy guidance, as covered in the handbook.
ACCORD has contributed to the Inaugural Meeting of the Panel of the Wise (PW) by leading an interactive session on conflict trends in Africa. The Meeting, which took place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, from 16-17 September, was organised by the African Union Commission (AUC) and brought together the Incoming and Outgoing Members of the PW, representatives from the United Nations Office to the African Union (UNOAU) as well as peacemaking experts and scholars.
ACCORD's commitment to support the mediation capacity of the African Union (AU) continues to be reinforced through the implementation of a three year project titled the AU Mediation Support Capacity Project and which is in its second phase. The project is jointly implemented by AU Conflict Management Division, ACCORD as well as the Crisis Management Initiative (CMI). This initiative is funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.
ACCORD's commitment to work with like-minded entities to contribute to the advancement of the practice of mediation was further illustrated when it hosted the 9th meeting of the Mediation Support Network (MSN). The MSN is a global network of primarily non-governmental organisations that support mediation in peace negotiations. The meeting took place in Durban, South Africa from 26-28 March 2014.
In line with its objective of providing training in the skills of negotiation, conflict prevention, resolution and management, ACCORD - in partnership with the African Union (AU) and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) - has organised a capacity building workshop for senior staff of Electoral Management Bodies (EMBs) from the COMESA region. Participants from the COMESA Secretariat as well as the AU Commission Secretariat also attended.
The latest publication by the African Centre for Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) articulates information and ideas generated from the proceedings of the Fourth African Union (AU) High-Level Retreat on the Promotion of Peace, Security and Stability in Africa, which was held in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, on 29 and 30 October 2013 under the theme '50 Years of peacemaking in Africa: A critical retrospective of OAU/AU peacemaking'.
In recognition of the support that it has provided to the African Union and Regional Economic Communities in the last 22 years, ACCORD has continued to be invited to participate in high level forums in the continent in order to lend technical support, present topical papers and moderate sessions. This has placed the organisation at the forefront of contributing to development of policy frameworks for conflict management and implementation of peacemaking, peacekeeping, peacebuilding as well as training initiatives in the continent.
ACCORD, through its Peacemaking Unit, has provided technical support to a two-day joint solidarity mission to the Central African Republic (CAR). The mission, which was co-led by Mme Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, UN Under-Secretary General and Executive Director of UN Women, Mme Bineta Diop, Special Envoy of the AU on Women, Peace and Security, and Ambassador Adolphe Nahayo, ECCAS representative in CAR; aimed at drawing the attention of the international community to the situation of women and girls in CAR.
In line with its objective of providing training in the skills of negotiation, conflict prevention, resolution and management, ACCORD, in partnership with the African Union (AU) and the United States Institute for Peace (USIP), has hosted a capacity building workshop for experts and practitioners in mediation of the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS). The training workshop, which took place in Durban (South Africa) from 24-28 February 2014, aimed at enhancing the mediation skills of participants in general as well as providing a reflective environment for debating on the case of the Central African Republic (CAR).
- ACCORD participates in IGAD Conference to Launch Gender Milestones
- ACCORD participates in SADC Regional Consultation on Building National Peace Infrastructures
- ACCORD trains Zimbabwean Ecumenical Church Leaders Forum in mediation and dialogue skills
- ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit conducts a mediation training for AU and RECs
- ACCORD participates in AUC-RECs-UNDP consultation on strengthening linkages in conflict prevention and mediation
- Outcome Statement: The Southern African Women Mediators Seminar
- ACCORD trains SADC police officers in mediation
- ACCORD contributes to first Malagasy defence dialogue on role of armed forces in state of crisis
- ACCORD participates in global consultation on post-2015 Millennium Development Goals agenda
- ACCORD participates in bi-annual Mediation Support Network meeting on Regional Intergovernmental Organisations
- ACCORD convenes African women mediators
- ACCORD builds localised women’s mediation capacity in South Africa
- ACCORD enhances French mediation capacity in Africa
- ACCORD to enhance mediation-support capacity of the African Union
- ACCORD conducts advanced training in mediation for the African Union
- ACCORD conducts advanced training in mediation
- ACCORD hosts study tour and conflict resolution training for Sudan CSOs
- ACCORD hosts Curriculum Development Workshop and Training Support Group Meeting on behalf of AU CMD
- ACCORD hosts project management and joint steering committee meetings for its African Union Mediation Support Project
- ACCORD hosts AMISOM confidence-building workshop for TCCs